Long term studies - help!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/11 11:49 am
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering a DS to revise my band which has failed me miserably.  I am still researching and was hoping some of you might be able to help.  I'm trying to find any long term studies of the DS, specifically morbidities.  The only one I was able to find was the Scopinaro paper but, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe that is a different type of surgery. 

Does anyone know where I can find some long term studies on the effects of DS?  I'm in a once bitten, twice shy mode here.  I did TONS of research on the stupid band and all the studies and the physicians were so positive, yet here I am 5 years later with all my weight back, a painfully flipped port and a desire to get this evil little piece of plastic out of me. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!!  xoxo
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/11 12:02 pm
here's a study done on revision the the DS. It primarily discusses the revision of VBG and RNY to DS.www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-op eration.pdf

You should also look up a study titled, "The Biliopancreatic Diversion with the Duodenal
Switch: Results Beyond 10 Years." I was able to get the full paper from my university library.
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/11 12:18 pm
Thanks so much!
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/11 12:38 pm
Yehuda, is that the article by Dr. Hess?  I want to make sure I have the right one.
nightowl
on 7/10/11 6:42 pm - Topeka, KS
Yes, Dr. Hess is the lead author of it.  I don't have my copy in front of me now, but if I recall correctly, I am pretty sure that on the first page of the article it says it was presented to a govt. body regarding getting Medicare to cover the DS (and, it doesn't say this, but I think it was part of why the decision was made circa 2006 that Medicare would indeed cover the DS).  Then, Medicare influence sometimes rubs off onto private insurers' coverage decisions.

While I think this might be the best overall article about the DS, I will say I think it presents too rosy of a picture.  For example, in the summary, it says the DS "permits normal although smaller meals."  Well, sort of.  Normal meals get ~65 % of their calories from carbs.  That % wouldn't be good after the DS.  I do think the DS/Atkins-type diet is not normal in America (nor any other of the several countries I've been to).  I knew the dietary chage to high protein would be tough for me, which is why there was such a long period between when I joined here and when I actually had the DS, I thought it over for a long time.  I love my DS though, I would definitely do it again.
nightowl
on 7/10/11 6:52 pm - Topeka, KS
I meant to include this link. www.dsfacts.com/long-term-studies.html 
The study that say 15 years seems more enticing at first, (by the title), but only a very few of their patients would really be that far out -- they had been doing the DS at their site for that long, but included in the study were many of their recent post-ops.

Also, as much as I love Dr. Anthone, I do think the conclusion to his article, saying "[t]hese results are achieved without developing significant dietary restrictions or clinical metabolic or nutritional complications," overstates the reality.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/10/11 12:36 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Dr. Hess, who pioneered the DS as it is currently done, shares his statistics on something like 1400 patients (all his) at www.dshess.com .

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 267 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views