What is the monthly average weight loss?

rubytica
on 7/11/11 8:13 am - GA
Hi:
It has been 12 days since my surgery and I want to set goals for my weight loss journey.  Can anyone tell me what is the average monthly weight loss at the beginning of this journey?

Thanks
had_enuf
on 7/11/11 8:43 am - East Bay, CA
Just work your DS (high protein, lots of fluids, almost no carbs) and you'll do fine. Here's one previous post on the subject with lots of ways to slice and dice the issue:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4212733/Rate-of-Loss-after-DS-Excess-Body-Weight/

Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

beemerbeeper
on 7/11/11 8:55 am - AL
There are a lot of variables that make comparisons really impossible.  You can check out my blog here on OH to see mine, but I urge you not to compare.

If you will follow the advice of the vets here you will do great.  I followed Gina (Major Mom's) advice throughout my weight loss phase and I did GREAT.

Right now you need to be focusing on fluids and building up to 30 grams of protein a day.

That was enough for me to worry about at 12 days post-op.

~Becky

rubytica
on 7/11/11 9:26 am - GA
Thanks for the information.  I have been focusing on my liquids and protein, just wanted to set my goals.  I appreciate your responses.
beemerbeeper
on 7/11/11 9:50 am - AL
Instead of setting goals such as loosing so many pounds by a certain date why don't you set goals like these:

30 grams of protein by 30 days
60 grams of protein by 60 days
90 grams of protien by 90 days
100 grams of protein or more for life

64 ounces of fluids every day

post on bites and vites at least x days a week

keep carbs under xx at least xx days a week

Walking xx minutes a day

Things like that that you can measure and count and be accoutable for.  Those were the kinds of goals I set.

Hope that helps,

~Becky

s00zy66
on 7/11/11 2:46 pm - TX
I'm having the hardest time with fluid intake.  I am < 1 month post op and I still feel nauseated when I drink and it feel like it stops in my stomache and doesn't move.  Any suggestions?
    HW / SW / CW / GW          348 / 327 / 175/ 140          Jan11 / Jun11 / Sep12 /

Elizabeth N.
on 7/12/11 12:03 am - Burlington County, NJ
Are you taking an acid reducer like Prilosec? That helps a lot of people. How about nausea medication?

The feeling you have might be completely accurate. You might be having slow stomach motility. This should improve as you heal, but should be mentioned to your surgeon.

Also, sip SLOWLY. Try sipping one measuring teaspoon per minute for a while--measure it and time it--and see if that helps.

beemerbeeper
on 7/12/11 2:16 am - AL
Oh how I remember.  If you are dehydrated you may not be able to catch up.  During my 3rd week I went to the local hosptial and got a bag of fluids in the ER and felt SO much better that I was able to keep up after that.

It is imperative to stay hydrated.  Is your pee very clear or is it dark?

Try anything/everything you can think of:
warm liquids like peppermint tea ... a lot of folks like that
very cold almost icey ...that's what worked for me
different flavors... try a lot of different crystal lite or walmart brand crystal lite
try flat diet//decaf soda
SF popsicles

You may need to consider getting yourself some help to get hydrated and then the nausea may go away.

Are you taking nausea meds?

~Becky 

April Greer
on 7/11/11 9:54 am - Springfield, MO

Good advice from Becky.  Personal I have never set an official goal weight.  I am just enjoying the ride and trying not to stress over it.  Best wishes.   April

April     
Julie R.
on 7/11/11 10:34 am - Ludington, MI
 I admire you for wanting to set "goals" for your weight loss journey, but this is just so different now.   If you follow the DS guidelines that most vets set forth - high protein, fluids, watch the carbs until you get to goal, your DS is going to drive itself.   As Becky says, your "goals" should be about taking your vitamins, getting your fluids and protein in, etc.    I'm afraid that if you resolutely state, "I'm going to lose 15 pounds a month," you will set yourself up for failure.     There is so much that comes into play that will determine your outcome.    Of course your dietary choices do affect your weight loss, but your individual metabolism, the way your surgeon cuts your DS, your race, whether you are a revision or not, etc. all will have something to do with how much weight you lose.   

My advice to you, also, is to hide your scale and only weigh in once a month.   The scale is a mechanical mind f***.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 244 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 732 views