Happy news all!!!
I am officially engaged now. Dating was a big challenge for me prior to surgery. I've never been in love before, or even thought I might be. I'm very excited, though the big day won't happen for at least 2 - 3 years b/c he needs to complete his Ph.D. first.
Love good news!
In other good news, I'm now safely back in Wisconsin where I can see all my family and friends. Finances royally suck, but well, that's fairly common with significant illnesses. I don't have a job anymore now that I'm here and I'm going to just focus on getting better. Other people will pay my essential expenses on my behalf during this time period. I'm very blessed to have such giving, wonderful, supportive people in my life AND all around me - all at the same time vs 700 miles away in Missouri.
I've got a great new dr. He specifically specializes in lymphomas and has taught at the National Health Institute and is quoted in research on lymphomas. He spent 1.5 hrs with me during my consult going over everything I could possibly want to know. He confirmed pretty much everything I had found in research. Here are the hilites:
My overall 5 yr survival rate is 70 - 75%. I have a 30 - 40% chance of relapse. If I should relapse, a stem cell (bone marrow) transplant is my next treatment option. The overall 5 year survival rate for that is 50 - 60%, if it should come to that. I immediately skipped my first period after my first treatment. Given I'm 34, and not considered young by fertility standards, it is very unlikely I will become fertile again. The dr. said there's a 50% chance I may never get them back and actually go into menopause . .. yeah, at 34. Sheesh.
I have a PET scan this coming Tue that's pretty significant in that 88% of those who are not cancer free by this point in my treatment relapse within an average of 2.2 years, despite continuing treatment as standard - an additional 6 months of chemo if positive vs an additional 4 months only of chemo if negative. I'm a little scared b/c I had 3 nights in a row this past week where I had night sweats, the 2 before my last chemo and the night of my chemo. Night sweats is considered an advanced symptom and I had them for months. They stopped about 1.5 weeks after my first treatment and then I had them for 2 nights - the night right before my second treatment and the night of . . . but, I didn't have them at all coming up on the 3rd treatment. This past one was my 4th treatment. Makes me thing/ fear that the cancer is then not gone. I'll see next week Tuesday.
But, on happier notes . . . . I'M HOME AND I'M ENGAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I now also have internet at home again and, now that life is settling back down, I will be back on OH more. I've missed you guys!
HW / SW / CW / GW 299 / 287 / 159.8 / 140 Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Feb '13 /Aug '10
Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma! 7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012
I LOVE MY DS!!!