Help!!! My ass is causing unending AGONY!

hoping4arealchange
on 12/11/11 12:50 am - Portland, OR
Yes, I actually saw and saved Dianna's post a year ago.  That is how I knew to see a colorectal surgeon.  I printed out her post to take with me on Monday.  The hard part has been waiting for the appointment and getting through the constant non-stop pain!
Thanks,
dawn

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 4:43 am - San Jose, CA
Going to the ER is pointless if you have an appointment with the CRS tomorrow.  They aren't going to operate, and you already have something for the pain - if you need more, you should be able to get some without making an ER visit.

Use the lidocaine or benzocaine (AnalEaze from an adult toy store) immediately before and after a poop.  Once the spasms start, they take a while to stop, and they are agonizing, I know.

If you can tolerate an attempt at a medical (rather than surgical) cure first, I would try it.  I have cured two minor fissures since my DS medically (the nitro paste, nifedipine, sitz baths, lidocaine/benzocaine treatment).  But if it is already deep, that's not likely to help, and surgery is necessary.  It hurts something awful for a few days, but then the relief is complete.  Treating a fissure medically takes weeks and sometimes doesn't work.  It may be a (pardon me) crap shoot (chute?) to decide what to try first.

I had my sphincterotomy years before my DS.  The fissure was misdiagnosed for 3 years.  I'd like a refund or do-over on those years.  I could only walk for 10-20 min before the pain was too much; poops were miserable; and the treatments I had to endure for the mistaken diagnoses of levator ani trigger point spasms and internal hemmorhoids - OMFG.  So many procedures with someone's finger up my ass - unaware that they were further tearing the fissure in the process.

Ask the CRS to give you some topical anesthetic to numb your ass before he does anything - don't know if it will help, but you can ask.  When I got my sphincterotomy, it was scheduled as a sedated exam with possible further surgery - I could no longer even tolerate any examination it hurt so badly.  (I told the CRS that if he had to do any cutting, could he please also do an external hemmorhoidectomy, which he did - that may have also contributed to the severe pain immediately after surgery, but the overall result was worth it.)

I still don't know if we DSers are more likely to get fissures than the general public, though I think we are, or if it's just that we're willing to talk about it.  I think MILLIONS of non-DSers have fissures and just suffer silently with them, too embarrassed to go to the doctor or too afraid to find out that it means they are dying.

Remember - the most important mantra (after protein first, yadda yadda yadda) of the DSer is to Let **** Happen.  Don't strain, don't pull the butt cheeks apart, try to not allow yourself to get either constipated or for your poops to be too loose or acidic.  This is good advice for anyone, but since the volume of our poops and the possible acidity can be a problem (bile acids in particular), we are more susceptible, I think.

Speaking of which, I have noticed that when I have to fast, or don't eat for a while for some reason, I get acidy diarrhea about 8-10 hours later - I think it is because there is no food to bind to the bile acids, which drip constantly from the biliopancreatic limb in the absence of a gall bladder, and they end up moving through my gut faster, and burning my ass on the way out.
flucca
on 12/11/11 6:52 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
 Had this exact issue about three months ago, horrible, agonizing pain.  Anyway, to cut a long story short, I tried the ointments etc for a few weeks with no relief...........instead of surgery, the Colorectal Surgeon gave me an injection of BOTOX to the anal sphincter (done in outpatient ER)  three days later, complete relief and no issues since.  Hope this may help you too.
newyorkbitch
on 12/11/11 8:14 pm
Depends on the fissure itself...whether or not botox can help.
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views