Pregnancy post-op HELP

BROWNEYES_24
on 1/3/13 7:30 am

Hey guys I wanted to know if it was possible to have a baby early in post-op.. I keep telling my boyfriend to wait but he insist and ready for a child. Sooo my questions is how early did anyone have a baby, or get pregnat after having surgery.. The rules says wait 18 months but *****ally waited that log. And who had a safe pregnancy during early post-op after surgery..

Please all chim in on this..I need help

Valerie G.
on 1/3/13 7:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The potential danger isn't to your baby - it's to YOU.  First, there's your liver that's being heavily strained with your rapid weight loss.  Next, there's your nutritional health.  Your baby will take what it needs from you, and you can be left malnourished which carries its own list of problems.  I've heard at least a year - but the key is waiting for your rapid weight loss to stop and for you to be in control of your nutritional levels.  Accidental pregnancies have happened and turned out okay, but why take such a risk needlessly?

Ask your BF if he feels "ready" to raise this child alone if something terrible were to happen to you health-wise.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

clutterbunny
on 1/3/13 7:51 am - CA

My doctor said 1 year, minimum.  As bad as it sounds, if it should happen (it won't!!), I'm supposed to notify his office and in return I will get a letter recommending terminating the pregnancy because my body simply can't nutritionally support a growing fetus.

MsBatt
on 1/3/13 7:59 am

My surgeon was adamant that all his female DS patients use TWO forms of BC for at least 24 months post-op. This is serious, MAJOR surgery, and your body needs plenty of time to come to terms with it.

I'm sure you and your BF want to be the best possible parents you can be. The best thing you can give your children is a healthy mom and dad, who will be with them for a long, long time. Getting your DS is one way you're doing that for them. Waiting until your body is at its best is another way you can be good, loving parents.

We've had some accidental post-DS pregnancies that happened during the early months. So far, so good---but a lot of pre-natal insults don't show up in kids for YEARS. Do you REALLY want to put your child at risk, just because you're impatient?

I'm childless, by choice, so I don't have personal experience to share. But I have bred and raised several litters of puppies. Most female dogs are capable of becoming pregnant and giving birth during their first estrus cycle, which can happen as early as 6-9 months old. However. most reputable breeders wait to breed a ***** until she's two years old, because it's healthier for both the ***** AND HER PUPPIES. Pregnancy is a really big deal.

Jessyw
on 1/3/13 8:00 am - polarbears&igloos, AK
I personally could not imagine having a child before one year out!! My body was still rapidly changing all the time and I could barely keep up with my own health I could not imagine having to care for myself and a fetus!! Please. Wait it out. A year is not too bad! You will have your child for the rest of your life, a healthy baby who can have a healthy mom if you just wait.

-Jessy
      Hello, my name is Jessica  I'm 20 and I got my DS!! check out my page. 

I love my DS!!!!   sw(535)/cw(220)/goal (?)
  Wanna learn about the DS? Come to the DS forum or check out these websites:
                  http://www.dsfacts.com/ OR http://www.duodenalswitch.com/
BROWNEYES_24
on 1/3/13 8:02 am
You both make great sense.. I told him all this.. A year is the exact min I told him to wait..
larra
on 1/3/13 9:30 am - bay area, CA

Perhaps this will sound harsh, but to me, your boyfriend's attitude, pushing you to get pregnant before your doctor feels it is safe for you, seems very selfish. He wants a baby NOW. YOUR health doesn't count, and really that's what it's about. The surgeon isn't telling you to wait 18 months just for the heck of it, it's a wise and necessary health precaution for all the reasons Val explained.

Bottom line, you are the one who would be placed at risk with the pregnancy, so this has to be your decision, and you must take control. If he can't understand and accept this, that should tell you something about him that should make you reconsider the whole relationship.

Larra

fattynNC
on 1/3/13 9:57 am
DS on 08/28/12

First of all, if he is ready to have a baby with you then he should marry you first.  Then he can be patient with you while you lose your weight and you can enjoy being together as newlyweds for awhile.  Then, when your weight has stabilized and you can better support a healthy pregnancy, then you and your husband can have a baby. There is plenty of time for having a baby.

There is no way I would intentionally have a baby with a man I wasn't married to, especially if he was rushing me to do it at an unhealthy time.

b1751
on 1/4/13 2:40 am

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Huneypie
on 1/4/13 3:35 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Well said!!

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 108 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 657 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views