Duodenal Switch Information

joanaheter
on 2/15/13 1:14 pm - Houston, TX

Hello

I just went to my first consulation today for the Sleeve, but since I have diabetes my DR suggested that I do the duodenal switch. I would like to know if people had an problems after this surgery....I don't know much about it....

Thanks Joan

BiscuitNYC
on 2/16/13 3:17 am - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13

I had a VSG and just revised to a DS.  I was diabetic, but as soon as I had my VSG I was off all diabetes meds.  Just before my DS my A1C was down to 5.9 and my BG readings were in the < 120, but still a bit high considering those were fasting numbers, but they had been slowly but steadily dropping.  But your mileage may vary.  I don't know how well managed your diabetes is with meds or if you're insulin dependent, or what other comorbidities you may have that would influence your doctor's opinion.  VSG does have a good success rate of resolution of DM2 (some studies I've seen have it pegged at 80%) but the DS is 99%.  Even if not completely resolved with VSG, you could see marked improvement.

My reasoning for revision was because I had a lot more weight to lose, even though I had lost a total of 150 with the VSG.  And you are less likely to regain lost weight with the DS than VSG.  

Valerie G.
on 2/16/13 4:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your doc is correct.  The DS definitely has the best stats for Type 2 Diabetes resolution as well as highest amount of weight loss and lowest rates of regain.  DSFacts.com is a great site to learn more about it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

A. C
on 2/16/13 7:14 am

The "re-routing of the small intestines" has been done in Europe for years to stop diabetes.  YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).  I myself had complications.  I now deal with issues that I didn't have prior to surgery. 

The one thing you can expect from this surgery: WEIGHT LOSS.  The one thing that is truly unknown is: Everyone is so different, you cannot tell your complications or if you would have any unless you had the surgery.

It is your decision.  I was a virgin Weight Loss Surgery, that's why I have the synergy that I have losing this weight.  If you have never had a WLS, then it's down to the or the sleeve.  Depending on your BMI, it may be best to do this one.  Bear in mind, it is expensive, the committment of the protein and vitamins is a lot.  If there is a will, there is a way!

Good Luck to you!

MsBatt
on 2/18/13 12:56 am

I'm a little over 9 years post-op, and I've had zero complications. Best decision I ever made! Diabetes runs in both sides of my family, and that's one reason I chose the DS. Hopefully I'll never have to deal with that illness. I also needed to be able to take NSAIDs, since I've had severe arthritis since age 20. (I'll be turning 55 in a couple of weeks.)

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 67 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 635 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 230 views