Hiatal hernia repair anyone?

lwillis22
on 2/18/13 11:38 am

I am going back out to California to have hiatal hernia repair with Dr. K and I am not sure what to expect. Has anyone else had this hernia repair and if so what was your experience like.  He is going to try and do it lap but may end up having to go open.

Thanks for your help,

Lori

Sumundo311
on 2/18/13 3:06 pm - Saskatoon, Canada

I had one done 6 years ago, mine was done open and it was quite large. He put in a big mesh and it still sticks out and my stomach has a odd shape because of it.. But if feels better, and I don't think anyone notices.

It healed quickly and the pain wasn't bad, hurt to breath right after surgery, but that passed. Good luck

lwillis22
on 2/18/13 9:27 pm

Thanks for the reply.  I am hoping mine doesn't have to be open but there is probably a good chance it will be as I have had multiple surgery's in this area.  You mentioned the mesh and the "odd" shape of your stomach, how could anyone see this?

PSaadallah
on 2/19/13 10:57 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

Mine was done at the same time as my DS surgery and I don't notice anything post-op.

Sumundo311
on 2/19/13 7:06 pm - Saskatoon, Canada

My stomach has sort of a bump at the top were I had the surgery, because of the pressure there maybe, not really sure but it kind of sticks out yet., I am probably the only one that notices it. I hope all goes well for you, keep us posted.

Ctgal5
on 2/25/13 2:53 am - GA

I just had open hernia surgery January 24th.  I had it done as an out patient and was home that afternoon.  My Doc thought I may need mesh but he said the tear was clean so he was able to close me up using what he called a figure 8 stitch.  I had a plastic surgeon close because my open DS scar was so bad I wanted a scar revision.  He cut off quite a bit of skin so I go a mini tummy tuck too.

The first few days were rough - don't sneeze!  I had the surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Tuesday and the following week on a business trip a few states away. I am a month out as of yesterday and pretty much back to 100%.  Oh, you will be very swollen after surgery for about 2 weeks - I did not know that.  My waist was about 2 1/2" -3" bigger  and nothing fit me so be prepared.

Good luck you will be glad you had it done - my hernia looked like an alien trying to break out of my stomach.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views