xylitol, protein isolate versesnon denatured whey protein

jzwife
on 3/27/13 2:09 am

It seems that somewhere I read that we can no longer do the tols such as xylitol is that correct. If true that may be the answer to my issue last night.

Also, what is the difference between protein isolate and regular denatured whey protein? Can we do either one or isone better for us?(ie-absorbed better with this new plumbing we have)

AND- I can not do artificial sweetners- they give me migraines. Any suggestions as to what we can do in the place of or foods we can have without getting in reg. sugar?

Thanks- you guys are great at helping me learn this. I tried to learn as much as I could before surgery but am learning that until I actually experience  it I don't know what's going to happen.

Sharon

MajorMom
on 3/27/13 6:43 am - VA

Check out JayRobb whey protein. It's is whey protein isolate and sweetened with stevia.  If sucralose / Splenda doesn't bother you, try Syntrax Nectar. It's also whey protein isolate.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PSaadallah
on 3/27/13 10:34 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol and many DSers are sensitive to it.  It doesn't bother me, and I prefer the taste to sucralose (Spenda) because it doesn't have an aftertaste like Splenda does.

Valerie G.
on 3/27/13 10:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's a YMMV thing, but the 'tol's are known to cause gastric effects like bloating, gas and diarrhea.  Some can handle a little, while others tolerate none at all.  Some substitutes may be stevia or agave

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

BiscuitNYC
on 3/27/13 12:54 pm - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13

Whey Protein Concentrate The processing of whey concentrate removes the water, lactose, ash, and some minerals. In addition, compared to whey isolates whey concentrate typically contains more biologically active components and proteins that make them a very attractive supplement.   Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) Isolates are the purest protein source available. Whey protein isolates contain protein concentrations of 90% or higher. During the processing of whey protein isolate there is a significant removal of fat and lactose. As a result, individuals who are lactose-intolerant can often safely take these products. Although the concentration of protein in this form of whey protein is the highest, it often contain proteins that have become denatured due to the manufacturing process. The denaturation of proteins involves breaking down their structure and losing peptide bonds and reducing the effectiveness of the protein.     The best way to compare proteins would be to look at their Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS).  Unfortunately, most commercial manufacturers don't list this score, and I have yet to find any listing or database of such things, even on the athletic/body building sites and forums.  However, it's always a good thing to look at the list of ingredients and make sure that an isolate or concentrate is listed at the top.   Of course, personal tastes and preferences come into play just as much as anything.  However, you should not be 100% reliant on protein powders to get your nutritional needs met.  The idea is to eventually get to a point where you're eating whole food to get all of your nutrition.
JazzyOne9254
on 4/2/13 4:01 am

Excellent science!

I do eat whole foods, but I still supplement with protein shakes.  I am highly malabsorbent,, and while I have blamed it on my 75cm CC, neither I nor my doctors are really sure that my CC is too short for me.  I always blame it on my CC, but I've seen others on the board with the same length, who don't have the issues that I do.

I am lactose intolerant, but that has calmed down significantly from what it was immediately post-op. I can use full-fat dairy, and if I don't, the gas and "runs" get started.  I'm almost positive that's the lactose content, because the lower the fat, the higher the lactose. (from nutrition class...I'm studying to become a RD)

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

b1751
on 3/28/13 3:43 pm

Not all DSers are created equal.  It seems some people have major intolerances.  I had some issues with lactose the first month, but even that went away.  I can eat sugar alcohols, wheat, milk, etc with no problems at all.  I have only ever had a problem after drinking an evil shake.  I have no idea what was in it, but it gave me terrible cramps.  So just because most people on here can't tolerate it, doesn't mean you won't be able to either.

As for the sweeteners, have you tried Stevia?  I think it tastes pretty good in iced tea, but I haven't tried it in anything else.

Lap DS with Dr. Kemmeter 12/17/12

HW: 274.5 -- SW: 266 -- GW: 130?

T Lady
on 4/1/13 9:00 am, edited 4/1/13 9:02 am

I LOVE xylitol and use it in place of all sweetener.  I was worried about the gas and bloating that may occur with it, but I just gradually worked it into my daily intake and haven't noticed it.  I also do not like artificial sweeteners and this tastes and acts the most like sugar to me.  I even bake with it.  It tastes great in coffee and is great for your teeth.   Stevia works for me in tea, but I find it can be really bitter in coffee.  I can't seem to cook or bake with it and get the results that I'd like. 

Protein Isolate is the purest form and is absorbed the best.  I don't think it matters on our new plumbing.  I often peruse body building sites, simply to get great tips and tricks and they all seem to prefer the isolate for the same reasons.  I found NOW unflavored whey isolate and create my protein shakes to my desired sweetness with cold coffee, heavy cream, water and xylitol.  Yes, as someone mentioned, the goal is to get most of our protein from food sources, but being 4 years out, I still try to supplement 50 or more grams a day from my whey protein.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

jzwife
on 4/1/13 11:26 am

Thanks! I will try and start working the xylitol in as time goes on. Its nice to know that some people can use it .

JazzyOne9254
on 4/2/13 4:06 am, edited 4/2/13 4:06 am

I do the same with my shakes, but no water.  I use whole milk and top it off with heavy cream. 16 oz  whole milk, 4 oz heavy cream, generally.  More cream sometimes.

Xylitol gives me the runs, so I'm a sucralose, girl!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 167 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 700 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views