Jonesing for Soda

brian11
on 8/21/13 11:55 am

Week 2 after surgery has been a challenge.  I’m final getting in better quantity of fluids (mostly water, SF Kool-Aid, and SF popsicles).  Getting tired of sweet and have been moving to more water.  Plan to begin protein drinks at the start of next week.

My stomach has just felt kind of bla where nothing seems too appealing.  The kind of stomach feelings where I would normally take 7 up and soda crackers just to calm it down.  I know neither is anything I should be doing for a long time.

I’ve been off soda for about a month.  The only hard part up till now was that first week of caffeine withdrawal.

What is it with the carbonation that’s bad for DS?

Herman
on 8/21/13 12:22 pm

Nothing bad as far as I know. It may make you miserable right at first while you are still healing, but aside from that there is nothing that I have found.

when I had my surgery I was not able to stomach the water at all, also had no access to some of the stuff we have here in the states to add to the water to make it taste better/different, so I actually drank lots of flat slightly warm pepsi. It work just fine for me while I was out of the country for my 2 weeks after surgery. 

Carbonated drinks and coffee have not bothered me at all.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
S Andrews
on 8/21/13 2:18 pm - eatonville, WA

I have had a hard time drinking water even now and I am 4 months out. Once in a great while I will have about 2 oz of a soda and it just kicks my pants.I have never been a soda person but for some odd reason I crave sodas now! I get terrible gas and sometimes diahrea. I try to stick with water and a little ice with lemon juice. I found an organic lemon juice I really like to use. It makes the water refreshing. Its very easy to get dehydrated so you have to try and stay on top of it.

Sounds like you are doing awesome tho!

Sharon

brian11
on 8/21/13 6:04 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I’m still experimenting with different combinations of drinks/ water additives.  So far the only  common parameter is I like cold over room temperature.

I went shopping and bought about half dozen different types of drinks/drink mixes and am slowly going thru them.  Real lemons and limes are some of the things I bought.

It does seem like since I’ve cut back on the SF pop cycles, my diarrhea has gone away.  So I’m starting to understand how you need to experiment to see what tastes good AND seems to work good for you.

I plan to put off soda for as long as I possibly can.  I want to have as long of a honeymoon as possible and just don’t plan to rush back into old bad habits just to see “if” I can tolerate them.  Once I cannot stand it any long, I’ll probably try a small amount of slight flat soda.

SHFT_2
on 8/22/13 8:19 am - Grand Rapids, MI

I'm almost 4 weeks out and feel the same. I'm thinking this weekend I'm letting a diet caf free pop go flat and enjoying it as much as I can.

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

meq815
on 8/21/13 11:39 pm - PA

I am a caffeine free diet Coke junkie.  I started back on it at about 2 months....very slowly.  I now drink it all the time.

* Gail R *
on 8/22/13 2:18 am - SF Bay Area, CA

Never drink sugared drinks as they go straight into your blood stream. SF sodas are OK, but at 4 years out, I find the carbonation expansion still hurts my stomach and I can't imagine a newly reduced stomach tolerating the extra air/gas.

I never liked it before the DS and don't like now, but right after surgery, cold vanilla soy milk tasted wonderful and soothed my stomach. I tried to stay away from milk for six months to prevent lactose intolerance.

Gook luck!

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 8/22/13 2:21 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I kicked my Diet Coke habit right before surgery. I don't plan on ever starting back up. Soda has no redeeming qualities -- especially diet soda. My doctors had been telling me for years to quit. 

Here's a list of reasons why diet soda isn't that great for you. Since you already stopped drinking soda, why not say goodbye forever? :)

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects- of-drinking-diet-soda

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

MsBatt
on 8/22/13 3:52 am

I was about 3 months post-op when I had my first soda---and it HURT! I'm almost ten years post-op now, and I can only drink a little bit of soda before it becomes uncomfortabe.

Irishnurse
on 8/22/13 5:05 am
DS on 04/17/13

This early on it is not good. Caffeine is dehydrating and we already have issues staying hydrated. I did not touch a diet soda until my third month. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views