cheap protein

jashley
on 1/4/14 1:48 pm
DS on 12/19/12

It has gotten to the point that eggs are now roughly the same price as my protein powder. 

My protein powder is 10 cents more per shot (30 grms of protein), but so much easier to store, make up, and it's highly mobile.  It's close enough for me to say they cost the same.

It's actually cheaper for me to buy powders than to eat protein.  I never thought that would happen.  

Irishnurse
on 1/4/14 3:26 pm
DS on 04/17/13

I totally understand. 

I have gotten to where I drink three protein shakes a day and eat things like veggies, salads, fruit etc for my meals. It is easier to count my protein intake that way. I just know I am getting enough and anything else I decide to put into my mouth that has protein in it is added bonus. This way I get my passion for veggies and fruits satisfied and still get the protein I need. I love my shakes anyway!

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Susan M.
on 1/4/14 5:56 pm

This is what I want to do, I just can't swallow the shakes.  Best mix so far if protein in low sodium V8, and it gets pretty rank with over 20g in it.  I've tried lots of home made mixes but i'm not finding the magic bullet.  I would kill for a salad...

Huneypie
on 1/4/14 8:37 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I've recently started adding frozen berries which is making things more palatable for me.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Irishnurse
on 1/5/14 10:43 pm
DS on 04/17/13

I drink protein lattes Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino and Hot Chocolate (Chocolate Truffle) It is like having a treat three times a day so it is easy for me to enjoy!

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

jashley
on 1/5/14 1:41 am
DS on 12/19/12

Excellent idea.  I will move towards this model now, especially since fruit and veggies are cheap at the Asian markets.

jashley
on 1/5/14 1:37 am
DS on 12/19/12

I've tasted some rank protein powders when I first started.  It's been a year, so I guess it's time I try all the cheaper ones again.  Our tastes do change as we get further out.

I add stuff to the shakes to make it taste better, or hide the strong taste - because I won't toss any powders I buy.  I drink them no matter what. 

If you hate the taste, try adding vanilla extract, spices, peanut butter, cocoa powder, sugar free chocolate sauce (or any other ice cream sauce), sugar free jam, yogurt (effectively competes with a multitude of bad tastes), coffee, heavy cream, etc. 

If anyone knows of any other things to mix with the powders, drop us a line here.  I'm always looking for new things to mix with bad tasting powder.

Huneypie
on 1/5/14 1:48 am, edited 1/5/14 2:10 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I've started adding berries recently to make things more interesting.

BTW I use frozen berries.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

SkinnyScientist
on 1/5/14 1:59 am
Try aldi. They are the brother corp to trader joes and are a discount supermarket. Bring a quarter for the cat, which you get back when returned and your own bsgs. I get goid foos and produce at aldi

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

jashley
on 1/5/14 2:15 am
DS on 12/19/12

I'm on the west coast.  We don't have Aldi here.  But they are coming, so that is great.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 136 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views