Need help! feeling scared, doubtful keep going back and forth

neamom
on 4/13/14 11:12 pm

Hi all

Had my sleeve done in 11/2010 lost only 50 lbs from 265 to 215 then started gaining despite going back on metformin, exercising etc...( have PCOS, diabetes) I am all set to get my DS done in the next couple months.  My doctor will also scope me and decide if my sleeve needs re-done aside from worrying about the complications of all of that, I am very worried about malabsorption issues.  I plan on being fully compliant, but what if that is not enough, will I start breaking bones in my 60's and 70's or needing iron transfusions weekly?  I am considered to be a lightweight by OH standards I am currently 236.  I know now that I need that malabsorption component to overcome my PCOS and diabetic metabolism (which sucks BTW)  I am just so afraid I am doing the right thing.  I want to be healthy for my family and for myself I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions

MajorMom
on 4/13/14 11:37 pm - VA

I was a lightweight starting out too and the DS has been the absolutely best decision I've made for myself in a long time. Yes, vitamins are nonnegotiable but if you start off with a plan such as Vitalady's chances are very very good you won't have any vitamin deficiency problems. I also still drink 120 grams of whey protein isolate every day and my nutritional stats are awesome. You will have to learn to deal with the potential gas and bathroom smells since we malabsorb so much of what we eat but I go once or twice in the AM before work and I'm done for the day. You can start taking good probiotics pre-DS and continue them post-op, those seem to be enough for most folks. At first bathroom trips will be more frequent but within a month or so things get pretty routine if you stick to low carb and don't have lactose intolerance. That's the down and dirty of my journey so far. No gloss overs.

--gina

Link to Vitalady's plan: http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_ BPDDS3-2010.pdf 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 4/14/14 2:50 am - bay area, CA

The long term studies on large groups of people with the DS show very low rates of nutritional deficiencies, and most (though not all) patients who experience this do so due to noncompliance. In other words, for the most part, it's in your hands. If you stay complaint with your protein and supplements and adjust according to your labs, chances are excellent that you will be just fine.

consider also that the only reason you are a "lightweight" is that you already have some benefit from your sleeve. Without that, you would be just your average MO person with metabolic problems that will not be resolved by any purely restrictive surgery, no matter how complaint you may be with your post-op diet and exercise. It's unfortunate, but that's the reality.

Larra

neamom
on 4/14/14 10:03 am

Thanks for responding!

PHAT_at42
on 4/14/14 5:11 am
DS on 03/12/14

Neamom,

I could have written your exact post one month ago. I had my sleeve in MX AUG09 with Dr. Pompa Gonzalas. I lost most of my restriction by 6mos out and while I did manage to lose 60lbs, it was because I was a beast in the gym (everyday). While I loved the gym it still felt too hard to lose the weight. At about 1.5 years out I started to regain. My PCM sent me for an upper GI and found that almost all of my fundus (upper stomach) and much of my lower stomach was not removed as with a normal VSG. I did seek a revision but got discouraged as everyone in my network kept trying to steer me to RNY and I did not want that. I think at that point I gave up, felt ashamed of the weight regain, felt like a failure, stopped posting on OH and gain back to my preop weight. I was miserable! I knew I had to do something! I knew I need more for my insulin resistance...and I knew RNY was not for me but was AFRAID of the DS. While I was afraid of the DS my research spoke loudly that it was the logical revision, with best opportunity to get rid of my co-morbidity, minimize unwanted side effects (dumping, marginal ulcers etc...) and not to have to diet for the rest of my life. Today I am one month and 2day post revision to DS and re-do of my sleeve. At my one month weigh-in I was down 23lbs and eating solids again. My surgery was uneventful, and I have had no complications. No BM or gas issues at this point. While I am still not “in love “with my DS…I see a beautiful relationship growing and I am so glad that I took a chance for me.

m1=23, M2=11, M3=4(had stall for 3wks), M4=6 M5=6 M6=6 M7=4 M8=3

I am a VSG to DS revison!

neamom
on 4/14/14 10:02 am

Thank you so very much, your story is encouraging

HKFandora
on 4/20/14 5:19 am

Thanks for sharing. I too had the sleeve, and waiting to hear if my stomach was sleeved correctly as I had my upper GI months ago, but had not seen the surgeon since, hence why I switched. I switched to another DS surgeon and I see him soon. I too would like to be resleeved but worried about it even if it is unnecessary. I too only lost about 50 lbs. How long did he make your common channel and alimentary limb?

PeteA
on 4/14/14 5:41 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I think compliance is a little more complicated than taking your vits. You also have to be ready to adjust as time goes on. Bodies change - even if you religiously take the vits that worked best for you the first couple of years without blood work you just can't tell if they are still doing the job. Every one can be surprised at things like brittle bones WLS or not because they don't catch the problems when they are starting instead of when they get bad.

It can be scary but it has been the best decision I ever made. One year out on 4/15.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

neamom
on 4/14/14 10:03 am

Thank you, I am a medical person so I will be on top of those vitamins, but I am glad to hear it is the best decision you ever made!

Terri M.
on 4/17/14 2:54 pm - Evansville, IN

I am still pre-op but have chosen to have the DS because it had the best percentages of getting rid of my comorbidities, the best percentage of excess weightloss and smallest percentage of regain.  I also only wanted to have 1 surgery.  I was seeing quite a few in the same position as you they had a previous WLS and were seeking a revision to the DS.  There is a site called DSfacts.com that has so much information on the DS. There are also pages on facebook and another site called bariatricfacts.com which is for people seeking information about weight loss, but a lot of the people there have had the DS and are several years. out.  But like others have said protein, vitamins and checking labs are an absolute necessity.  Good luck on your journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views