What is considered an 'experienced' DS surgeon

katinhouston
on 4/15/14 6:25 am - Houston, TX

How many DS surgeries per month or year is considered an experienced DS DR?

dustycroy
on 4/15/14 9:32 am
DS on 05/14/13
I believe a "vetted" surgeon means at least a hundred surgeries under their belt of that particular surgery, but of course you still want to research their patients and how well they have done after their surgery.....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Chris Mitchell
on 4/15/14 9:54 am, edited 4/15/14 9:55 am

I see you are in Houston, I recommend Dr. Ricardo Bonnor, he did my DS last September and I could not be happier. I forget how many he has done but he is one of only 4 in the Houston area that does them. He and his office staff are great. Check out his OH Profile:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-ricardo-bonnor/

Chris M. - Highest Weight = 397 lbs, Start of Program = 386 lbs, Day of Surgery = 360 lbs

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vinnero0

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 4/15/14 10:10 am, edited 4/15/14 10:16 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13
I would research Bonnor carefully. I know of one patient (on this board!) who went in for a DS and came out with a sleeve instead. She was not happy!  I think there are others near Houston that are on the "vetted" list. I'm sure more DSers will chime in here.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Chris Mitchell
on 4/16/14 1:29 am

It is weird to here that, I have never run into anyone that has problems with Dr. Bonnor. He explained everthing to me, made sure I had no questains un answered. But correct me if anyone has heard anything differant.

Chris M. - Highest Weight = 397 lbs, Start of Program = 386 lbs, Day of Surgery = 360 lbs

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 4/16/14 3:26 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13
On April 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM Pacific Time, Chris Mitchell wrote:

It is weird to here that, I have never run into anyone that has problems with Dr. Bonnor. He explained everthing to me, made sure I had no questains un answered. But correct me if anyone has heard anything differant.

Here's the post. It happened recently. Some responses saying they never heard of Bonnor as an experienced DS surgeon...

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Chris Mitchell
on 4/17/14 2:16 am

Thanks, I did see that there was a reason that he did not do the full surgery. Dr. Bonnor told me that he may have to do it in 2 surgeries depending on what he sees in there. I guess since I such a wonderful experience with him, I feel the need to defend him.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 4/17/14 2:42 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Yes, but the point is that a more experienced DS surgeon may have been able to deal with the issues and still perform the DS in one surgery.

Regardless, I'm glad you've had a great experience! And I understand the need to defend your surgeon as I would do the same for mine! 

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/14 5:17 am, edited 4/17/14 5:29 am

There is a difference between accepted disappointment and resentment towards a doctor's findings and decisions.  I am the person *****ference was made to as only receiving the sleeve as I was scheduled for the DS. 

I like Dr Bonnor, I feel that he has my best interest as a priority in his mind.  I trusted him to bring me through this alive and healthy and he did so.

It's stated that, "Some responses saying they never heard of Bonnor as an experienced DS surgeon" .. Some of those *****sponded do not live in this area, nor are they privy to every good doctor involved with bariatric surgery.  Dr Bonnor works within the Memorial Hospital system, he is highly respected throughout the hospital and with the nursing staff.  My husband's endocrinologist highly recommended Dr. Bonner and I've spoken directly with some of his DS patients. Now Chris Mitchell as well, and everyone has had good results with minimal surgery complications. There are also some who feel if your surgeon is not on the list provided by OH then they are substandard and I simply can not agree with that.

Excusing him as some fly-by-night inexperienced surgeon because he felt something was not safe at the moment during my surgery is not a fair evaluation.  To say that a more experienced surgeon might have dealt with the issues better is blowing in the wind, since the the person making this statement is not aware of the issues.

Terri M.
on 4/17/14 2:26 pm - Evansville, IN

I believe the only surgeons list on here now are ones that pay to advertise. The "vetted" DS surgeons are listed on DSfacts.com.  They have many requirements to meet and one of them is having done a certain amount of DS surgeries with good results.  That is not to say that a doctor on that list is not a good surgeon. I chose to go with one on the list because I only wanted to have 1 surgery. I didn't want to be put under twice or have to recover from surgery twice. I later found out that my insurance would only cover the DS if they were one from the recommended list. The sad thing is there are some, I am not saying yours, but some that do it in 2 surgeries because it is more profitable for them.  Best of luck on your journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 361 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views