Today insurance approved and surgery scheduled for Thursday! Not ready.

Cmenow1
on 4/18/14 3:40 pm

I live in Oregon and found out today that I am approved and scheduled with Dr Rabkin for Thursday surgery.!!! What do I need to do? Help me please.

Terri M.
on 4/18/14 5:17 pm - Evansville, IN

I am preop but I know there are quite a few people on bariatricfacts.org who have had the DS.  They are on the site daily.  This site doesn't seem like many people with the DS are on it.  There is also a facebook page called duodenal switch patients that has a lot of activity.  You can probably get help at both places.  Good luck with your journey.

MajorMom
on 4/18/14 8:48 pm - VA

Man! That is fast. 

Things to have on hand at home when you get out of the hospital: water bottles, herbal tea, chicken and beef broth or boullion, sample of protein powders (Syntrax Nectar, JayRobb), Lactaid milk, sugar free Gator Aid stuff (can't think of the name).

By the second week you may be ready for full liquids: protein shakes made with one of the powders and Lactaid milk or water, gluten free cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, and egg drop soup.

By the third week or so you may be ready to try a few very soft foods: pudding, yogurt (plan, and add your own sweetener such as Truvia or Splenda), soft boiled or poached eggs, refried cheesy beans from Taco Bell, Wendy's chili...

Other things: baby wipes; food, meds/vitamins, fluids, walking diary to help you keep up and keep track; set alarms on your phone to help you keep your schedule; chap stick; moisturizer and hand cream (low fragrance), ...

If I think of more, I'll come back and post. :)

Good luck!

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Cmenow1
on 4/19/14 2:00 am

Thank you Gina! This is a great list and I'm getting on it today as we drive to SF on Monday. Thank you again!

larra
on 4/19/14 8:23 am - bay area, CA

Yep, that's fast, but it gives you less time to freak out, which is a good thing. And you've chosen an excellent surgeon.

Best wishes for a safe and successful DS.

Larra

PeteA
on 4/20/14 3:23 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

That is fast. Congrats!!!

I like Gina's list. The one thing on it that I wish I had started earlier was using the baby wipes to "finish" up.
It didn't seem to be an issue for the first 6 months but then I got Hemorrhoids and wish I had taken more care
early on.

Early on I bought a strainer so I could have creamed soup without the bits and pieces because while you are on
liquids the docs don't want anything clogging up their work. 

Don't worry early on about anything but liquids and a little protein. You have time to ease into everything except
the liquids - that's important from day 1.

I had mine lap and ended up on my recliner for a couple of weeks because it was too sore when I tried to sleep on
my side. That;s the only time I could ever sleep on my back. Not sure why.

Use the pain meds liberally in the hospital and then work out what lets you function fairly pain free when you get home.
The dose they prescribed me at home really knocked me for a loop I finally went to a half dose and that worked much
better.

Have a safe surgery. We'll see you on the other side. 

I like OH but if you are looking for something like FB there is an unaffiliated group called OH DS Family that I like very much.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Larissa P.
on 4/20/14 3:29 am - Denton, TX

Hugs hugs hugs hugs! If I was in your area, I'd do that in person.

GO FOR IT!!!!!

Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Valerie G.
on 4/20/14 9:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You need a hairbrush, chapstick and earplugs.  You're ready!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 277 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 751 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views