Ten Year Anniversary and Still Happy with the DS

charlietuna54
on 4/21/14 5:24 am, edited 4/21/14 5:35 am - St. Augustine, FL

Wow...Time flies when you are having fun....Ten years ago today I had my DS surgery and received my new life. For the 10 years prior to surgery I had basically quit living. I had no energy; I would not go to movies or restaraunts because of the fear of not being able to fit in the seats; Walking from my car to my office was an ordeal; How my wife and family stuck beside me during that dark time was nothing but true sacrifice on their part.

Today I am able to walk and run after my grandchildren; travel all over the country with my wife and just plain live again. I have a fishing trip with my wife to Alaska planned for this summer and would have never considered flying before surgery. Without the DS I probably would not be on this earth today. I weighed right at 500 lbs and was 6'-5" when I began the journey. Today my weight will fluctute between 265 to 285 and I am still 6'-5". I lost over 20" in my pant size and even my shoe size decreased from a 16 to a 15. I look forward to each day of life this surgery has given me.  I still take lots and lots of vitamins; no longer take any blood pressure meds; my sleep apnea is a distant memory;  but I do take Prilosec daily for persistent . The one side effect I do have that I don't like is I am constantly cold. I don't leave home without a jacket or a sweater ever. I even carried a jacket to Disney World in June and was glad I had it with me. I don't pay as much attention as I should to the meals I eat and there are times I pay for not paying attention. My labs are all within normal range except for my iron is a little low and my total cholesterol is too low at 91.

One of the hardest things I found is not going up to people that you know surgery could cure their disease and encouraging them to consider this option. Just yesterday I spoke with a young man who is exhibiting the same difficulties I did.  I was extremely tempted to bring the subject up to him but I know I would not have been receptive if someone had spoken with me. I do let people know I had surgery and I have had several call me later to discuss the subject with me. But I let them bring it up first.

If you are considering this surgery I encourage you to do your research not only about the surgery but I think even more importantly research about your surgeon. Make sure it is the right decision for you. Personally if I had to go back and have the surgery again I would be there in the morning. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself!!

If you should have any questions, feel free to contact me. I know I talked to a lot of people before I went forward and am happy to share my experience with others.

beargriff
on 4/21/14 5:46 am

wow  so nice to hear that 10 years later you are still happy with your decision . Way to go

Larissa P.
on 4/21/14 6:51 am - Denton, TX

Wow! Good for you, thank you for sharing and letting us know that the DS is still great long-term!

Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
NoreenRT
on 4/21/14 10:06 am - Warner Robins, GA

Thank you so much for taking the time to pay it forward. Enjoy that fishing trip! 

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

calendargirl
on 4/21/14 11:19 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

So glad to hear from you at 10 years out!  What a great post.  Thank you.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

ladybug513
on 4/21/14 1:13 pm - NY

I LOVE progress posts from DS vets!!  Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

First goal 120.0: 12/7/13  Final goal 115.0 (114.6):  2/6/14  

5'3  SW: 199 (12/11/11)  Current: 114.8 pounds  18% body fat   BMI: 20.3           

Terri M.
on 4/21/14 1:18 pm - Evansville, IN

Congratulations! Enjoy your trip!

PeteA
on 4/22/14 4:31 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Nice to hear you are doing so well. Glad you are loving life and able to experience it to the fullest. Thanks for posting. 

Cindy Cooney
on 4/25/14 9:59 pm - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

Thank you for sharing this story.  This is exactly why I am having a DS in 9 more weeks.  I have yet to meet anyone with regrets from the surgery.  I had RNY back in 2001 and I deal with the cold issues as well.  But you can always put on a sweater.  At least I deal with the heat much better than when I was 380.

RNY - 3/26/14

HW - 380

CW 0 259

DS - 7/30/14

HW - 285

CW - 264.4

Dr. Greenbaum

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 247 views
calcium/protein