USA - Mexico or other WLS procedure

map189
on 4/23/14 7:52 am

Boy can I use some advice! Hope I'm not throwing up to much info but I'm really confused how to proceed.

1. I'm a lightweight
  2. my greatest fear is regain after WLS - I've lost and regained on diets before
  3. i want the DS for it's long term success
  4. i can afford to self pay however saving money is a plus
  5. looked at multiple DS surgeons in Mexico including Dr. Ungston $15k
  6. just had a teleconference with a doctor listed on DSfacts.com will do surgery for $13k self pay
  7. just got quote from Dr. Castaneda in Mexico who seems to have a lot of experience with DS for $7k
  8. finally - due to also having sleep apnea my medical insurance - if after 3/6 month of jumping through hoops will pay for WLS but not DS - out of pocket cost $50.00 yes fifty (feel guilty not going this route) but I believe DS is my best solution because of my fear of regain.

PLEASE!!! Give me me your experienced opinions - ALL are welcomed.  Next I have to get my wife to accept I'll be having surgery - she's thin and eats to survive and can't understand why I can't just diet.

MajorMom
on 4/23/14 8:04 am - VA

Dr Ungson is the only one I'd go with in Mex. There's also Dr Marchesini in Brazil. Both are excellent DS surgeons. I was lightweight pre-op and I wouldn't trade my DS for anything else. No way, no how. I'm 6 1/2 years post-op now and 5 pounds above my very lowest weight. Still in the middle of normal BMI range. Good luck and keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

map189
on 4/23/14 8:15 am

I'm not being selfish for only wanting DS surgery in your opinion - you'd pay $13k more? Also did/do you need the surgery to remove excess skin as a lightweight? What was your total loss if that's not a rude question - doesn't seem to be on these boards just in case

MajorMom
on 4/23/14 9:48 am - VA

I didn't need plastics but I know other lightweights that did. A lot depends on genetics and how long you were heavy. I lost 80 pounds, but then I'm only 5'1" tall so it might not seem like a lot to some folks but it was a lot for my height and I had 5 comorbidities. If I could afford it I would spend the money. Just be very prepared for the follow on purchase of vitamins, yearly labs, and protein.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

map189
on 4/23/14 10:28 am

Thank you very much

Valerie G.
on 4/23/14 10:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would go with Ungson, Marchenesi or the one you found on dsfacts.com.

I've never heard of this Dr. Casteneda in MX, so I question his true level of experience doing the DS.  I've been out here more than 9 years.  If he had a good reutation, he'd at least be familiar.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 4/23/14 11:37 am

You are right about the fear of regain thing.  Ungson in MX is good and don't trust anyone else.  Yes, your life has value and I would self pay in a heartbeat over waiting for insurance to pay for a surgery I didn't want.

Chances are your wife will never really understand.  But you already know odds are that even if you lost the weight through diet and exercise it would come right back.

Do a lot of reading at DSfacts.  Make sure you understand it means a lot of supplements for the rest of your life.  Not optional.

larra
on 4/23/14 1:29 pm - bay area, CA

Fear of regain/failure was also a big reason for the DS for me. I was attending a local support group as well as reading a lot online and after the initial honeymoon period, regain becomes a major problem for many people with other operations - something many surgeons won't tell you when you're pre-op. I don't think you're being selfish at all.

As far as surgeons in Mexico go, I've been on this website and others related to the DS for over 8 years and never heard of a Dr. Castenada at all. This is not a good sign! the only DS surgeons in Mexico with known experience are Dr. Ungson and Dr. Aceves. Dr. Ungson has been doing the DS for many years now and has an excellent reputation. Dr. Aceves more recently started doing the DS and trained with Dr. Ungson. He is now doing them on his own. I can't tell you exactly how many he's done, but I'm sure if you contacted him he would tell you. He also ha an excellent reputation and the hospitals both operate at have also received nothing but favorable comments.

there are many areas in life where you can cut corners to save a few bucks. Major surgery is not one of them. Spend the extra and get good medical care. You deserve nothing less.

Larra

map189
on 4/24/14 6:40 am

Thanks EVERYONE - from all the input and confirmation that DS is the right choice - I think I'm going to go with the DSfacts surgeon for $13k.  It's a big difference than $50 but you get what you pay for and I think it will be a small price in the long run - we have the money, I just feel slightly guilty but don't think I'll even discuss the $50 option with my wife as it would just add more fuel to the fire.  Cross your fingers and I'll let you all know Saturday if she doesn't put up to big of a fuss.

larra
on 4/24/14 8:31 am - bay area, CA

Good decision! Yes, 13K is a lot of money, but this is a decision you will live with for the rest of your life.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 270 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views