Surgeon recommended diet

Amanda L.
on 7/18/14 11:01 am - GA

Ok I may have posted about this before and I apologize in advance for the repetition but I'm in need of help. I wondered if my doc had the same post op diet for RNY and DS and I got confirmation that it is. The only exception is they only recommend around 60 grams of protein a day for RNY patients and around 80 grams of protein a day for DS. He does a standard 150 cm common channel for all DS. Okay someone please tell me I'm not totally losing my mind because all the research I've done for a post op DS diet is nothing like this. I'm so frustrated I don't know where to begin. He doesn't want any snacking or grazing because it's a "bad" behavior and can lead to regain. I'm only supposed to eat 3 meals a day and 1 protein shake. The meals are supposed to be mainly dense protein and then if I have room a little veggies and these meals are supposed to only add up to 3/4 of a cup working up to 1 cup total and never going over that. I'm exactly 8 months post op today and I seem to be a slow loser. He also told me that I seem to not malabsorb as much as his other DS patients because I don't have as many bowel movements a day as the others do which he thought was odd. 

larra
on 7/18/14 2:37 pm - bay area, CA

RNY and Ds are two very different operations, and the DS diet need not be as restrictive and limited as the RNY diet. I can appreciate that your surgeon doesn't want his patients eating foods that might lead to regain. He may have seen other patients go down that path, and we are all affected by our personal experiences. But we do have a lot more leeway with the DS - not that it's a free for all, but we don't need to be as strict, and snacks (hopefully with protein) are ok for us IMHO.

Could snacks lead to regain? sure, if you sit around all day eating ice cream and bonbons. But I don't think that was your plan. And for many of us, especially early out when our sleeves are still small, if we don't snack we don't get in enough protein.

I do think though, that with RNY, many (not all) people are able to eat so few calories to avoid weight regain that his advice is spot on for them.

Larra

PattyL
on 7/18/14 4:52 pm

So for 2 weeks, up the protein, cut carbs almost completely, and up the fat.  When what you are doing isn't working, change something!

PeteA
on 7/19/14 10:14 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

He may think that is OK for a 150cc but at 8 months it is time to experiment a little. 
I couldn't follow his eating plan because my protein goals are so much higher than his.
I try for about 150gms a day and 3 meals just won't work. Besides I don't think protein 
snacks are a problem and don't really define scheduled snacks as grazing. You should
try to add 2 protein snacks - one during the day and one in 
the evening - maybe shoot for 100-110 gms of protein for a while and see how that goes.

Are you tracking your eating? It's easy to be getting less than you expect and the DS is 
a little odd that if you are eating too little it is not helping you as much as it could.

You might either double the scoops in your protein shake or add another one at night to up your 
protein. 

Lastly, I found it personally helpful to do a couple of weeks posting my actual meals in the daily
vits and bites posting. You might think about doing that too. IT's easy for things to creep in to
your diet that you tend to discount until someone else points it out.

Your not crazy and don't give up - there are still lots of things to try. I wonder if his other patients
are really adhering to that kind of diet and are just not saying
because they are OK with the results.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 259 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views