I Want a revision to DS

chunkymunky
on 7/19/14 11:20 pm - TX

Anyone had a revision from RNY to DS? IF so, what was the reason for it.Did the healthcare cover it?

larra
on 7/20/14 4:04 am - bay area, CA

Depends on your insurer. Some cover revisions, some don't. Some will cover if there is something technically wrong with your RNY but not for any other reason. Some policies exclude all bariatric surgery. Bottom line, you need to get a copy of your policy and read the portion on bariatric surgery for yourself. Do NOT trust some person who answers the phone when you call your insurer to sort this out for you. They won't understand what you're talking about, and they don't care about the answer the way you do.

If your insurer doesn't cover revisions, you may be able to appeal this, depending on your insurer, your medical cir****tances, and on the nature of your policy. I'll send you a pm with more info.

Be aware also that there are very, very few surgeons who do RNY to DS revisions and you will need to travel. This is a very complex, challenging operation, and higher risk that a virgin DS, and most surgeons don't do it. That's a shame, because we are seeing new people wanting revision from RNY to DS all the time. RNY works out well for some people but the failure rate is substantial, and patients are starting to understand that RNY doesn't have to be the end of the road, and also that failure is not always the fault of the patient. I hope you are able to work something out.

Larra

D. Switcher
on 7/20/14 11:28 am

I am told that many surgeons are proctoring for sleeve and pouch to DS revisions, as the regain rate is increasing. Not enough malabsorption on RnY, and none on VSG.

Sleeve to DS Conversion - Regain 290# Current weight: 252# - VSG lowest weight: 235#  

"Serenity to Accept, Courage to Change, and Wisdom to Know..."

***all comments are my personal experience and/ or opinion***

larra
on 7/20/14 12:17 pm - bay area, CA

I hope you're right. That would be really good news. We need more DS surgeons in general, and also more who do the complex RNY to DS revisions.

Larra

nicholivolkoff
on 7/23/14 8:37 am - Canada

Yeah I had a ds revision from vsg....I have only gained since last winter when I had a ds with 100 cm channel.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views