VSG to DS after regain- question in reagrd to malabsorbtion

sara3
on 7/22/14 5:16 pm

Its been a while since I posted. I am over two years out from a VSG with Dr Gagner, I wanted the DS but woke up with only the VSG.

I made the best of it and got down from 400 to 213. I had a LBL and Breast lift last June.

My lowest weight post plastics was 181 size 10/12

Since January this year I have gained 30lbs. over 40lbs from plastics... I am more than concerned, in a desperate attempt to get a handle on things I joined weigh****chers. I am now 224lbs.

I am seriously considering getting the second half of surgery but here is my biggest concern, I have gained due to eating all of the wrong foods, if I get the DS and relapse again will I risk facing the same issue, or it is simply more forgiving...?

Any thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated

on 7/22/14 10:19 pm, edited 7/22/14 10:20 pm

With any surgery there can be a regain if you go over board especially with carbs. Having said that , the DS is more forgiving due to it's malabsorption component .

VSG TO DS REVISION 

hollykim
on 7/23/14 2:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

even with the malabsorption or the DS,carbs and sugar are absorbed 100%. If you gat the DS and relapse,the yes,you run the risk of gaining again.

gl

larra
on 7/23/14 4:57 am - bay area, CA

Yes, people can regain even with the DS...BUT there is much more leeway because you can enjoy any form of protein with any cooking method, use full fat foods, and a much wider variety of foods because we absorb only 20% of the fat we eat and roughly 40 - 60% of the protein we eat. So, you can load up on protein, let whatever fat comes with the protein come along, and eat less carbs. And you don't have to worry about counting calories, either, because a lot of the calories won't be absorbed, assuming you eat a lot of protein and fat and not too much carbs.

VSG works well for some people, but requires much more discipline in both diet and exercise for most people. We are seeing new people with weight regain a few years after VSG all the time, along with the folks struggling a few years after RNY and (sadly) often very soon after lap band. You are not alone. Ask yourself, if I don't go forward with the DS, where will I be a year from now? Two years from now? There's your answer.

Larra

PeteA
on 7/23/14 5:42 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

You understand the problem is with your food choices. While the DS may be more forgiving don't forget the requirements that
come with the malabsorption. Early on you have a very high focus on protein. You will also have to pay strict attention to your
vitamins. I'm very much with Larra about thinking where you will end up in several years but don't forget to consider that this will
require some changes in your diet - like it or not.

With that warning I think it might be helpful. It did curb a lot of my appetite for sweets and carbs. Maybe you could consider a
resleeve at the same time?

Good luck,

Pete

Valerie G.
on 7/23/14 6:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

A full DS is more forgiving, but you've got to get yourself under control!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sara3
on 7/24/14 12:20 pm

After reading your comment “you’ve got to get yourself under control” I felt really shamed and hurt. It felt so full of judgment.

For me, it is about finding compassion for myself in the face of a life long struggle with an eating disorder that has little to do with will power of self-control.

Having studied this issue in depth I have found it is combination of biological, social, emotional, physical and spiritual issues that impact eating disordered behavior.

I have worked hard on many of these areas to dissect my behaviors and patterns and change them with an immense amount of success. (I was once a size 34 I am now a 12-14).

Just like someone who turns to sex, gambling or alcohol to cope, I learned to use food in a maladaptive manner, which in turn created pathways in my brain that create behaviors, those behaviors are often challenging to change.

I also learned though researching WLS the biological component of obesity is very real. How some people actually react to things like sugar can be very different from someone who does not have an issue with compulsive/emotional overeating.

It is human nature to go back to our default strategies to cope in times of trouble and stress, which is what has occurred for me recently. It is my job to get good supports in place, find new coping strategies and ways I can make loving food choices for myself. In addition, I think it is important to keep all options open to me including the possibility of getting the DS down the road. Have you ever heard the saying, relapse is part of recovery?

This is useful for me and perhaps others, who can see that nothing is ever black and white or as simple as “get control of yourself.” I believe it’s less useful to tell me to ‘get control’ and more useful to say… “I hear your pain, I too have had a struggle, and I offer you wisdom with humility and kindness because I too know what it is like to have this battle.”

I can shame myself all day long (without help from anyone else) with harsh self-talk like “why can’t you just get this under control, what is wrong with you?…” This does nothing but perpetuate a cycle of self-loathing and more emotional over eating. Ultimately, this serves to shame me and keep me locked in a destructive cycle.

A_Whole_New_Me
on 7/23/14 10:19 am

I can certainly understand your feelings of desperation.

I had a VSG in 2010 and was injured in a terrible car accident when I was about30 lbs from my goal. I then regained all but 10-15pounds of the weight I’d lost with the sleeve (but still down more than a hundred pounds from my highest).The weight gain was largely as a result of medications to help in my recovery and inability to exercise but it’s a very slippery slope with food - a reward for enduring some difficult situation or thinking you’ve got things handled and can have a little treat…suddenly you’re 40 pounds heavier!

Today is the 6th month anniversary of my revision. I am down 67 pounds so far and have another 41 pounds to reach my (lower) goal.

Yes, the DS is more “forgiving” but you will not be able to eat a steady diet of high carb foods without consequences.

Take time now to forgive yourself for the weight gain and deal with any emotional eating issues - REALLY look at what you are committed to. Once you’re committed, the discipline will come more easily. As you know, being healthy long term with a DS, you need to be willing to limit your carb intake, ensure that you take a comprehensive supplementation program several times a day (ie: Vitalady) and always get in enough water and protein.

Are you willing to always put yourself first?

Lastly, if keeping to small portion size had been an issue since your sleeve, I would recommend that you ask your DS surgeon to check your sleeve in case it needs to be resized. When I was researching the process for myself, it was one of the most common regrets people shared. I had a slight revision to mine as it had started to stretch at the top.

Wishing you peace and every success,

Tricia

D. Switcher
on 7/23/14 12:25 pm

The VSG is not holding up at 5 yrs, the way that they had hoped. Depends on the metabolism of the individual. The DS has the highest efficacy, and I am going to convert my sleeve to DS.

I believe, as do my doctors, that it is the best chance to lose and maintain the weight loss...

Sleeve to DS Conversion - Regain 290# Current weight: 252# - VSG lowest weight: 235#  

"Serenity to Accept, Courage to Change, and Wisdom to Know..."

***all comments are my personal experience and/ or opinion***

annarohr
on 7/23/14 10:55 pm

I too am 5 years post VSG, it did NOT hold restriction for long term.  Now, maybe I did something wrong, maybe not, who knows.  All I know is that even back then I wanted a DS, still want it, I got cold feet in the end regarding the malabsoption and chose only VSG.  Well, now I have a date on August 21 for a sleeve revision and DS, going to get the whole enchilada if I have any say in the matter.   I just wish I had done it right (for me) the first time around...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views