Medication absorption for those with mental illness

tooshky
on 7/29/14 7:45 am, edited 7/30/14 4:44 am

I'll start by saying that all I've done is research.  I have my first seminar coming up soon (pre-req to seeing the doctor).  I am seeing Dr. Roslin in NYC first.  So I began a lot of my research on YouTube and came across plenty of VSG'ers that were over the moon about their surgery so I was pretty sure I wanted a VSG.  Then I learned about the DS and thought, nope, that's the one for me.  The malabsorption is just an added benefit to the sleeve. 

Now, the more I do research and think about my personal situation I'm kinda in the middle.  I'll explain - so I have Bipolar Disorder and take lots of medication for it.  Without the meds I get very sick and I take about 20 pills a day just for my mental illness.  My concern is that with the DS there is a chance I won't absorb the meds 100%, I'm also concerned about having to take maybe 20-30 more pills a day.  That's a whoooole lotta meds!  If I wasn't bipolar I'm pretty sure I'd go for the DS but I'm thinking the VSG might be more appropriate - less vites and no malabsorption.  I'm sure my doc will weight in on this, but you guys are seriously amazing and I value your opinion too.

If there are any people with mental illness that would like to chime in, that would be great.  Thanks so much, I really appreciate all replies. 

Edit:  I am 5'7, 260 lbs, BMI 40, age 30 if that makes a difference  :)

PattyL
on 7/29/14 12:59 pm

I can't help you with the bipolar questions.  I do know of several bipolar people who have had the DS.  I'm sure you will get an answer.

When you see Dr. Roslin make sure you know you are ending up with the DS...  Not SADI.  SADI is a newer single loop procedure and there is no long term data available and no one knows if it is as effective as the DS.  Make sure you know what you are getting and Dr. Roslin understands what you want!

Best of luck to you!

tooshky
on 7/29/14 1:29 pm

I've been warned of the SADI, but thank you!

Huneypie
on 7/30/14 2:36 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Whilst it's nice to call us lovely and intelligent in the subject, I'd suggest either changing the subject or starting a new post if you can't change with a subject like "Absorption of bipolar meds".

I think you'll get more replies that way.  FWIW I can say that I seem absorb painkillers as well as ever, ie if I get a headache then naproxen, paracetamol, etc seem to have the same effect as pre-DS, but I've not really had to venture far away from basic meds so can't say how that'd differ.

BTW I found this thread on the DS and psych meds http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4232578/Psych-meds-post -DS/

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

tooshky
on 7/30/14 4:45 am

Thank you!  I changed the subject, hopefully that helps...

Huneypie
on 7/30/14 2:39 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I also sent you a PM.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Nancy T.
on 7/30/14 2:41 am
DS on 07/16/13

I don't know about the absorption of your bipolar meds either.  The only thing I would say is that if any of them are oil-based soft gels, you won't absorb them.  All of the vitamins and supplements we take must be either dry or water soluble.  That's one thing to ask the surgeon when you see him.

tooshky
on 7/30/14 4:46 am

Luckily none of my meds are gel-caps, they're all tablets or capsules with powder.

princesskittykathy
on 8/3/14 1:51 pm - Newbury Park, CA

I am Bi-Polar type 2.  I take 400mg of Serequel at night for it and am asleep in about 10-15 minutes.  I do crunch them up so that it makes it easier for my system to absorb them.  I also take 100 mg of Topamax for migraines & Fibromyalgia at night.  I also take 50 mg of Topamax in the morning.  I was having horrible migraines every day that lasted for hours before I started it so it is obviously being absorbed.  I also take Aderrall twice a day for ADD as I am in school and it seems to work.  You may have to change your meds until you find the right ones but it can be done.

Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views