Having DS Surgery with Dr Ungson.

Jon C.
on 7/31/14 5:36 am - Auburn, WA

Hello,

My name is Jon. I am going to have DS surgery with Dr Ungson and would like to see if anyone that has had DS surgery with Dr Ungson is willing to share there experience with me? I would love to talk to you if so.

Thanks,

Jon

ArielSanders
on 7/31/14 9:22 am - houston, TX

Sup Jon,

July 21, 2008 at the age of 29, after having Stomach Stapling at 22 and 430lbs in 2001, I had the Duodenal Switch Revision with Dr. Ungson and his team the very next day. I had regained to 270lbs from a post SS' lowest of 203 in 2004. I traveled from Houston to Phoenix, onto Hermosillo alone and was greeted by Luz. Took me to the hotel, with the hardest bed EVER....Next day, had surgery, everything went well.

Recovered at the hotel, getting daily shots from the nurse (i forget her name). Not eating sucked, only drinking liquids was ok, but here where my complications started. Because I was a revision, the anastomosis was messed up and by the time I left Hermosillo and got home, I could not swallow anything or keep anything down.

In America if you had surgery in a foreign land and have a complication, you are so screwed. They will not touch you. So I flew back to Hermosillo, passed out in customs (or where they check your passport) in Mexico and Dr. Ugnson had to be called by the airport Dr. and was told to give me an IV, I was so dehydrated. Aeromexio, the best airline EVER took such great care of me going and coming , by wheeling me this huge black sick man, femininely passing out in customs alone, onto the plane before all other and giving me the back seat by the flight attendants in-case i needed help. I did.

Finally made back to Hermosillo. Picked up again, by Luz. Checked into a different hotel, went to see doctor, then checked back into hospital and had a thing stuck down my throat , into my gut to stretch open this opening that was blocked. I was screaming awake, It was horrible. It also did not work. Yet still cost me 2400 american dollars. Dr. Ungson and his team said the problem would fix itself in time....(Please see where I passed out from dehydration)

Back to America, still broken...At this point alone and no ER doc will touch me (only this uber expensive medicine is keeping me from vomiting everything) I call any doctor with knowledge of the DS for help. One doctor who does the Bilio-Pancreatic Diversion refers me to a gastroenterology doctor. This Dr. put me to sleep and stretched my opening to perfection and I haven't had and issue since. 

Things that helped:

Insurance

Time off/School Teacher

Dr.'s who were familiar with my surgery.

Insurance...Good Sweet baby Jesus Insurance..

Verdict: I never gain a pound...in-fact, I had the full body body lift, arms , thighs, tummy tuck, back flanks and got down to a really thin guy..I'd do it all over again. I just turned 35 and look 25, my vitals are awesome..I still over eat....but thats because I'm a fat person inside still. It was the best decision I've made as an adult. It cost me 12,000 to Dr. Ungson, would have been 9,000 but I was a revision. And then all the flights hotels , foods , medicines over 16 to 19000. I'd do it again...I went into 30 looking awesome.

430 to 203 gastric Bypass/270 to 167 Duodenal Switch

6 years ago

*Have a Dr. ready for you when you get back home.

Best of Luck Man. (I've never shared this story)

Jon C.
on 8/5/14 3:49 am - Auburn, WA

Wow what an Experience! Congrats on the weight loss Thanks for the info :)

FCSWheeler
on 7/31/14 9:54 am

x-post:  I had my surgery on Monday, leak tests and barium test done and drain removed today.   Walking, showered, waiting for release on Saturday.   I am really missing my Baby Girl.  Rough recovery and second day, but much better.  Still feel like a kangaroo used my torso as a punching bag,  but that is to be expected.   Hopefully, I continue on the up slope when I get home.  My back hurts worse from laying so much.  I was told I could see the chiropractor 2 weeks after I get home.   I have a mess for him to fix.  Lol.  

D. Switcher
on 7/31/14 6:48 pm
On July 31, 2014 at 12:36 PM Pacific Time, Jon C. wrote:

Hello,

My name is Jon. I am going to have DS surgery with Dr Ungson and would like to see if anyone that has had DS surgery with Dr Ungson is willing to share there experience with me? I would love to talk to you if so.

Thanks,

Jon

Talk to Goodkel (url below). Also call Dr Ungson's  Mexicali Bariatric office and talk to Nina.

http://www.weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/user/1

Sleeve to DS Conversion - Regain 290# Current weight: 252# - VSG lowest weight: 235#  

"Serenity to Accept, Courage to Change, and Wisdom to Know..."

***all comments are my personal experience and/ or opinion***

Valerie G.
on 8/1/14 12:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Dr. Ungson has a good standing reputation for years with the DSers, and as you can see with Ariel, isn't afraid of more challenging cases, like revisions.  His staff is known for helping assemble all of the details of your stay.  My best advice is to not hurry your return home, the standard is to stay close for 2 weeks post op, for most complications would occur by then.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jon C.
on 8/5/14 3:54 am - Auburn, WA

Thanks for the Info Val! I was thinking that it was going to be about 2-weeks down there after the surgery.

larra
on 8/1/14 7:20 am - bay area, CA

I have no personal experience with Dr. Ungson, but I do know that he's been doing the DS for years and has an excellent reputation. The care at the hospital also gets good reviews. I agree with Val about not rushing your return home - stick around long enough for any major complications to show up, and for you to be feeling better and moving better before you go home.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 296 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 768 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views