University of Minnesota Medical Center & Other Questions

Lisenros
on 8/8/14 2:39 am

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forums. I've been finding out more about the surgeries and have finally decided on the DS as my surgical option. Has anyone used the Bari Life powder instead of the vitamins? I read that for DS patients, you could drink three drinks of those and be good for all your supplements. Vitamins will take some getting used to, but if I can't do the drinks, I won't mind taking the pills.

I'm posting this in the Minnesota forum as well, but since I'm hoping to get the DS surgery, I'm asking if anyone has gotten it at the University Medical Center? I'm meeting Dr Leslie in a month. I just wondered if anyone has had any experience here.

kwilk84
on 8/8/14 8:14 am, edited 8/8/14 8:14 am

Hi Lisenros-

I has my surgery on 7/30. So I am a very new pre-opp, just a week a few days out. My Surgeon was Dr. Leslie at the University of Minnesota Fairview clinic. He did an amazing job as far as I can tell this early out. He has great bedside manners, very personable, and a very skilled surgeon. A med studen****ched my surgery and before I left he came and took out my staples. I got talking to him and could her admiration in his voice for Dr Leslie. He went on to tell me how Dr. Leslie did my surgery, etc. It made me feel that much better about the surgery. I so far have had zero complications and feel amazingly well. My incisions on my belly look awesome so far ( hope that continues). I had a great experience so far. Please let me know if you have any questions or I can help in anyway. I have made friends with another one of Dr. Leslie's DS patients on the boards and she has been a wonderful resource for me and have really appreciated the knowledge from her, and would love to offer the same to someone else.

I have not used Bari Life powder instead of vitamins, so I have no idea on that question. I am sure some of the vets can help you with that.  I purchased the vitalady vitamin regime and have SLOWLY started talking them ( I am only a little over a week out).

Lisenros
on 8/8/14 1:57 pm

Oh thank you for responding! It is a real comfort to me to hear from someone who has recently gone through the process. I will be meeting him next month. I was initially going to go for the sleeve or gastric bypass, but the more I read about the DS, the more I thought it was better suited for me. How long were you in the hospital? According to my program progress, I should be able to have the surgery around the end of October. After you met with him the first time, did they have you do a sleep study?

kwilk84
on 8/9/14 8:56 am

I sent you a PM with this information. Let me know if you have any other questions.

PattyL
on 8/9/14 7:56 am

Go to vitalady.com and read what's in her DS package.  Then compare it to the three doses of the Bari Life.  I believe it's not that great.

Most surgeons are good cutters.  Many if not most recommend supplements that are woefully inadequate.

I had my surgery at UMC and seriously I would probably be dead by now if I had stuck with my surgeons recommendations of 80gr protein, 2 multivites, and one dose of calcium.

Lisenros
on 8/9/14 8:29 am

Oh thanks for pointing that out. I compared the two and they are vastly different! I know we need alot more vitamins than the other surgeries, just didn't realize the stats on that Bari Life were so low.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 280 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 754 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views