Stupid question, maybe.

catecholamine
on 9/17/14 4:15 am

I'm nearing 8 months out, and still have a good bit to lose. Many people have said my slow loss is due to not eating enough - I take in between 1,100-1,600 calories most days. I keep telling myself "I'm going to eat more!" but I never do, or do for a day and go back to waiting to eat til I'm starving. And, frankly, I'm lazy. I have to prepare food and that takes EFFORT. lol! For instance, it's 1pm here and I woke up at 7:30am. Thus far, I've had maybe 3oz black beans and a chicken thigh (though it is a big one!) from KFC. I supplement with protein shakes when I need to, my protein levels are good. Of course, my surgeon's office's motto is "eat less". They want me on 1,100 calories a day, but I've been stuck at the same weight, going up and down 3lbs, for the past month and a half. I'm also tired a lot. So I'm guessing I do need to eat more. But somehow, I just....don't. I don't gravitate towards high fat things for some reason. I'm not TRYING to avoid them. But I add it when I remember to - I put garlic butter on steak last night, made creamed spinach with mountains of cheese. But most days....nope.

A lot of it is just that I forget. I do get hungry, but sometimes not for up to 4 hours or so inbetween meals (though I have had crazy days where I'm hungry like, every hour). So I just don't eat. I've never set cell phone reminders for vites or anything, but maybe for eating? I have no idea. I never thought I'd have this problem! I have like, kinda an aversion to food when I'm not hungry now. Pre-op, I could eat anytime I wasn't full. And would. What an odd problem to have. Anyone else dealt with this and found a good way to stuff food down? I wish I could just be like Nike and be all "JUST DO IT" but if it was so easy, I woulda done it already!

Surgery on 01/22/14 with Dr. K. Williams in Knoxville, TN.

PeteA
on 9/17/14 4:59 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

If you want to eat more to see if that helps there are a couple of things you can do that might appeal to the 
"lazy" in you.  

First, eat on a schedule and just stick to it even if you don't feel like it. Do the cell phone reminders if you have to for snacks.

Here are some of the things that would help me.

Double scoop your protein shakes.
When you do KFC get a bucket so you have something to grab for a couple of days.
When shopping - lunch meat and cheese. Get some cream cheese too and do rollups with your lunch meat of the week.
I'm a big chicken person so add a rotissiere chicken to your shopping list. Maybe cans of corned beef hash too.
Schedule snacks - if you don't want to add it to your phone try and time it to be with one of your vitamin doses.
Some kind of slim jim / beef sticks you an just carry around. 
Nuts. I hate nuts but for some reason I like sunflower seeds and I try and fit that in every day.

Have a high carb day once in a while. Some cookies, a donut, whatever might strike your fancy but only when
you are in a position to deal with any adverse consequences. Cookies really clean me out the next day. Just not too 
often - the carb wagon is hard to get off once you start.

Good luck. I hope this helps some.

I don't count calories - just protein but I use that as a yardstick of how much I am eating. I'm not a big fan of always adding extra fat
although it seems to help some people. I just avoid all low fat foods and eat things like egg and tuna salad with mayo that have a higher
fat content. I also add sour cream to some foods - even brats - just to try and get a little extra in but I don't obsess over it.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 273 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 747 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views