Single-anastomosis duodenoileal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy/SADI-S/SIPS

VanDal
on 10/13/14 5:17 am

Reposting from the VSG forum, since this straddles both operations!

Single-anastomosis duodenoileal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy is a simplified 1-loop duodenal switch with a 200–250 common channel.

Originally, I had my mind set on a VSG, however, I was offered a single-anastomosis duodenoileal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy due to my high BMI (>50). Malabsorption is concern for me and is the original reason I opted for VS over RNY or DS. But the numbers are compelling and forcing me to truly analyze this option.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find very many "real world" experiences from people who have had the procedure done.

I am a self-pay, so no insurance fraud comments needed and I plan to follow my surgeon wherever he goes and die when he dies, so no need to bring up "finding another doctor" concerns.

I'm looking for anyone who has had this procedure done and can offer first hand advice/considerations!!!

My surgery is at the end of Oct and I have to make a decision. I only get one shot at this, financially, so I want to make the right decision!

http://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(12)00279-1/abstract

Results

No mortality and no severe complications developed. The mean excess weight loss was >95% maintained during the follow-up period. More than 90% of the patients experimented complete remission of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Two conversions to a standard duodenal switch with a longer alimentary channel were required because of recurrent hypoproteinemia. Hypertension was controlled in 98% of the patients, with a 58% remission rate. The mean number of bowel movements was 2.5/d.

Conclusion

Single-anastomosis duodenoileal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy is a simplified duodenal switch procedure that is safe and quicker to perform and offers good results for the treatment of both morbid obesity and its metabolic complications

Thank you in advance!

Up2Me3
on 10/13/14 9:56 am

I am scheduled for this on the 21st. I too have looked at it both inside and out as far as a lay person can. I am also self pay. Do you mind me asking who your doctor is?

VanDal
on 10/13/14 10:25 am
VanDal
on 10/13/14 10:32 am

What was your conclusion from your research? 

SWEETMEL7
on 10/13/14 11:16 am - NY

Hi. I had this surgery but my CC was either 125/150. I had the surgery on 12/3/13 and I went from 268 to now 118/120. My surgeon Dr Roslin has been doing this surgery for over two/three years and the results are amazing. In my whole life I never thought I would be able to fit in a size 2/4 jeans or a size extra small/small shirt...I am pleased with the surgery, matter of fact six/eight weeks ago I had to go to Dr Roslin to assist in not loosing anymore weight which he did...

VanDal
on 10/13/14 11:32 am

That is amazing!  Congratulations on the great results.

Is there anything I need to consider when comparing VS and SIPS? I'm worried about the malabsorbtion, dumping, complications, etc.

I suppose you take a risk no matter which you choose, but it just seems more.....invasive? Do you recommend the procedure? 

SWEETMEL7
on 10/13/14 11:39 am - NY

I new the sleeve alone wasn't going to keep me in maintenance bc without surgery I have lost 100 pounds with LA weight loss, 65 with weigh****chers and 40 with Atkins but it was easy for me to gain the weight back so I knew I needed more. I also didn't want to do a revision. One surgery and that was it... I recommend it. It has worked well for me. 

SWEETMEL7
on 10/13/14 11:42 am - NY

I don't dump. I would make sure you take your vitamins on a daily basis along with blood work. Dr Roslin felt that if you suffer from a bad case of diabetes then he would suggest the standard DS. For me it was mainly high blood pressure/high cholesterol . My A1c levels started to increase. 

VanDal
on 10/13/14 11:55 am

Thank you for all of the information! I'm in the same boat.  I have lost and gained back and added for decades. 

I also agree with the once and done. 

You mentioned having to slow down/stop the weight loss. Is that a dietary/lifestyle change or is our going to be a surgical fix? I can't imagine being under 220 without looking skeletal....but I don't know how much of that is skewed perception.

SWEETMEL7
on 10/13/14 12:14 pm - NY

I also think for me the rerouting part with the surgery assisted with weight loss . I also eat healthy and portions are much smaller compared to how I used to eat before surgery. The things I've notice after surgery or even know with my eating habits before and after surgery. I also am I tuned to my body more and know when I'm full to stop. The sugar~cakes! cookies and ice cream which I loved so much doesn't even temp me. If my daughter opens a container of a light yogurt the sweet smell makes me nausea and turns me off. Same for gravy which I used to always love now the smell has the same effect as sweets with me.. It's amazing how I eat now compared to before surgery. I'm grateful because I never knew I would eat such a huge serving size until now..

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 266 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views