Did anyone else have to have a IVC filter?

TexasLady52
on 10/27/14 11:51 pm
Revision on 06/10/14

I was required to have a IVC filter the day before my WLS, because in 1993 I had a emergency hysterectomy and I developed a blood clot that went to my lungs.  To get his filter placed required me to be put under twice.  I had the filter put in the day before at one hospital and then went the next day to another hospital and had the WLS.  I have to travel back to Dallas to have the filter removed this week.  I live in a large city but my cardiologist stated that none of the three hospitals here have the equipment for this procedure.  Just wondering if anyone else has had to have the IVC filter?  After reading about it on the internet.....I was more nervouse about it than the WLS?

beemerbeeper
on 10/28/14 4:30 am - AL

My surgeon does it for all his patients. 

NoreenRT
on 10/28/14 10:15 am - Warner Robins, GA

I had it done. Fortunately, it was put in a few weeks before the DS surgery. At 350#s I wanted all the insurance I could get. Blood clots scared me more than the DS operation. 

After my surgery, I also had to give myself Warfrin injections. I walked a lo****ched that I didn't sit too long, or with my knees bent too long.

maybe it's just me, but I wasn't going through  hours on the operating table, only to die or suffer the complications from a blood clot.

I would do it all over again to loose the 200+ pounds. 

Good luck!

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Sandra C.
on 10/31/14 4:20 am - Kalamazoo, MI

I have had one placed once before a total body lift post WLS. My hematologist suggested it pre plastics because of my Leiden 5 clotting factor. My plastic surgeon also required Lovenox injections at home for 2 weeks post surgery. I asked to have the surgery done in the hospital rather than the plastic surgeons office surgical suite incase of an emergency. 

The hospital radiologist placed the filter and removed it with little pain meds, I was somewhat alert the entire procedure. I asked to be completely knocked out, but the Dr said the patient usually doesn't require it. It didn't hurt going in or out. The feeling of what they were doing, and the thought of where it was placed and removed was more than I could handle without sedation. 

There is a time limit for removal to be sure the filter can be removed. It can lodge itself permanently if left too long. My radiologist wouldn't surgically remove it if they couldn't get it out easily. I was advised if left in there could be complications down the road. 

I always follow my Dr's recommendations. I had no complications with the insertion and removal, and no clots during or post plastic surgery. I've had 7 surgeries in the past 3 yrs, 1/2 of them were plastics. This Vena Cava filter was the only one I've had. Lovenox was used for all 3 plastic surgeries, and planned for the next one coming soon.

Best Wishes !!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views