Splenda?

tiny1
on 10/31/14 10:36 am - Clarksville, TN

Wanted to know if DSers can use splenda?

PattyL
on 10/31/14 1:59 pm

Sure!

JazzyOne9254
on 10/31/14 7:44 pm, edited 10/31/14 7:45 pm

Perhaps you are thinking that because Splenda is "made from sugar", as they say in the commercial, it will make you have dumping syndrome.   Please pay very close attention to this-

DSers do *not* get dumping syndrome!

Dumping syndrome is caused when sugar (sucrose - also known as simple sugar, cane sugar, table sugar, high fructose corn syrup, simple syrup, etc.) gets into the bloodstream too fast, as it does with a created pouch, as those with the RNY gastric bypass have. They have lost the use of the pyloric valve, which controls release of  sugars into the small intestine where they are absorbed into the bloodstream.  With a created pouch, the pyloric valve is lost, and the sugars just drip through from one side to the other into the intestines with no breakdown.  Body can't handle it, clammy, sweaty, nausea = dumping syndrome.  Of course I'm sure I've over-simplified it, but that's basically what happens, sugar gets into the bloodstream too fast.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

tiny1
on 11/1/14 9:48 am - Clarksville, TN

Thank you JazzyOne9254! That is great information as I had a RNY in 2004 and I am looking to revise to a DS. I use splenda in my tea all the time and wanted to make sure I could continue to use it.

JazzyOne9254
on 11/1/14 7:54 pm, edited 11/1/14 7:56 pm

Are you looking for a stomach reconstruct to a VSG, or are you keeping the RNY pouch and only revising the small intestine configuration?  If so, then what you will end up with is a distal RNY, also known as extended RNY  (ERNY). 

I  read in another post just last week, I think, that there are only two DS surgeons experienced and skilled enough to be able to do a total reconstruct, one I believe is in the Los Angeles/Beverly Hills area, and another I believe is in  Mexico. I will have to find that thread and get back to you, or you can do a search for it.  I would think a  DS Reconstruct search would be enough to get you started, but I will look, as well.  I'm thinking Dr. Keshishian might be one of them.

Perhaps some other DSers could chime in on this, too????

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

tiny1
on 11/4/14 4:02 am - Clarksville, TN

I am revising to a DS from a RNY. I am checking out serveral doctors right now. I know a doctor in Knoxville does this revision and a doctor in MI does this revision. I have sent my surgery reports to each of them for review and hope to hear something soon.

MsBatt
on 11/2/14 5:34 am

I drink about a gallon of tea each and every day. I sweeten it with Splenda, at a rate of 1/2 cup per gallon. I've been doing this for almost 11 years now. (*grin*)

tiny1
on 11/4/14 4:03 am - Clarksville, TN

Thanks MsBatt, I sure do enjoy my tea with splenda and didn't want to have to give it up!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 167 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 700 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views