Bad surprise

* Gail R *
on 11/14/14 6:23 am - SF Bay Area, CA

I am over 5 years out with my DS and have had an easy time of it. My diabetes is under control with a healthy normal A1C. My cholesterol has been great for 5 years now.I was getting prepared for plastics in the near future. A couple of months ago, I noted a few skipped heart beats. Looked it up online and got the advice it was nothing to be concerned over but told my doctor asap and got an electrocardiogram. I was then referred to a cardiologist who didn't seem too concerned but told me to come in for some more tests which they didn't schedule for a couple more weeks. After those tests, he recommended an angioiogram in the hospital and more time went by before that test, which was yesterday. I was advised that the test sometimes indicated the need for a stent and I did all the paperwork for that. I wasn't too happy about that possibility mainly because it delays my plastics for a year while on blood thinners. 

During the time between all these tests I have felt fine and participated in quite a lot of physical activities including emptying half my house for necessary foundation replacement. I have been on two trips to the Sierras where I hiked miles and worked on winterizing my cabin. (7500 elevation) I have been a tired and was told it was because my labs came back with low potassium and low ferritin (15). I have tripled my potassium and upped my various iron supplements. 

I had the angiogram and surprise SURPRISE! I don't need stents. I need a quintuple bypass surgery ASAP! So Wednesday I go in and have my chest cracked open. Now I know why I am tired and have a constant mild headache and what felt like a little heartburn. So wish me good luck. I am mainly worried about the very long, possibly painful recovery period in a house under construction. 

The main point of this to my friends here, is to not count on your DS to exclude you from something like this. This is in no way connected to the DS except that I was certain that because my labs were perfect and I felt great that all was OK. Don't ignore symptoms. We can still get very sick from the things we thought were behind us with our new found health.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

calendargirl
on 11/14/14 7:17 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Wow, Gail, surprise indeed.  That's really something.  Are heart issues in your family history?  

Best of luck to you on Wednesday... sending healing thoughts and positive vibes your way.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

* Gail R *
on 11/14/14 8:20 am - SF Bay Area, CA

When I asked the Dr. why after 5 years of no cholesterol problems, he said heredity. I have a very large extended family and  this is the only heart problem of this type to occur. ?? wth

teachmid
on 11/14/14 8:33 am - OKC, OK
Gail,

What a shocker!! Best wishes

Gail
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

larra
on 11/14/14 8:45 am - bay area, CA

Gail, I'm so sorry! I know you will get through this with your usual strength and positive attitude, but sheesh!

You know I'm not far away. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Larra

* Gail R *
on 11/14/14 11:40 am - SF Bay Area, CA

Thanks Larra. I am at John Muir's new cardio unit and feel confident in my surgeon. I just hate going through a long recovery. Thank you for the compliment and offer.  I just want to get this past me right now. 

NoreenRT
on 11/14/14 9:59 am - Warner Robins, GA

Gail, what an unexpected event. We will be praying, swingin' critters, and sending healing vibes your way. Please let us know how things go as soon as you can.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Zee Starrlite
on 11/14/14 10:15 am

Awe, sorry Gail.  My prayers to you for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.  That really sucks!

Sending love and healing your way.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

beemerbeeper
on 11/14/14 10:20 am - AL

Sending hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery. please keep us updated!!

--Becky 

* Gail R *
on 11/14/14 11:44 am - SF Bay Area, CA

I will do my best to let you know how this goes. I probably won't be out of the hospital until after the 24th.  I'll post (the good news ) after Thanksgiving.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 113 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views