Bloodwork and vitamins question

thunderkitty
on 12/12/14 4:38 pm - Bismarck, ND

I am wondering how often most people get blood work done to check their levels? I am also curious what most people realistically spend on vitamins a month. I've see prices all over the place as far as what people spend... I really want to get a realistic image of these 2 things.

MajorMom
on 12/12/14 6:38 pm - VA

For the first several years I got my labs done every 6 months and would like to continue to do that but insurance is a pain. I tweak my individual vitamins so every 6 months would be preferred. 

I guess I'm spending about $150 to $200 a month on vitamins and protein supplements. My hubby also uses some of my vitamins and drinks a protein coffee every morning so this is a dollar estimate.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

thunderkitty
on 12/18/14 8:03 pm - Bismarck, ND

I was wondering why your cost seemed high but  I understand now after reading back that you included drinks... They must taste okay if your husband drinks them too.

Valerie G.
on 12/13/14 2:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I bundle my labs in with my annual physical thus dodging any copays.  I spend around $40/mo or less on vitamins by stocking up when I find a bogo deal on the easy to find vitamins.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 12/13/14 2:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I bundle my labs in with my annual physical thus dodging any copays.  I spend around $40/mo or less on vitamins by stocking up when I find a bogo deal on the easy to find vitamins.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

thunderkitty
on 12/18/14 7:59 pm - Bismarck, ND

Thanks Valerie for the tips! I will definitely try to have labs done at my annual check up if its bundled in and saves money after the first year. Where do you normally shop to stock up on vites?

thunderkitty
on 12/13/14 9:03 pm - Bismarck, ND

Wow what a difference in vitamin cost...I wonder if this is a brand difference or variation in nutritional requirements.

PeteA
on 12/15/14 11:16 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm at 20 months. I had labs at 3, 6, 12, and 18 months. Once again at 24 months and then yearly after that.
I know my primary Doc will request some specific labs for me if there is something special I want to check.

Initially I spent several hundred dollars to stock up on vitamins since I didn't have anything prior to that.
At this point I probably average 50-60 per month on vitamins. It depends more on sales.

I think you will find the difference in costs has more to do with if people add in their protein shakes into
their total. Mine is just vitamins. While I always have a protein shake in the morning I consider it a food
cost.  I think it depends on how much you feel it is as necessary as vitamins. Very important to me early
on, a little less so now.

Pete

thunderkitty
on 12/18/14 7:51 pm - Bismarck, ND

Wow thanks Pete, that helps put the price difference in perspective. I guess I would consider protein shakes a food too if they're a meal.

PeteA
on 12/18/14 11:45 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I think it is something that changes over time and cir****tance. When I was a new post-op I definitely
considered protein powder on the same level as my vitamins. It was only over time, as I got more comfortable with my
food intake that I started to consider it more as a meal replacement. 

Having said that I think I spend between 120 and 240 a year on my protein powder. Usually spend about 
$60 for 5lbs of Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 164 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 697 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views