Hair Loss

Alwayzbsingin04
on 1/23/15 4:25 am - Westland, MI
DS on 01/28/15

I am having my DS procedure in 5 days, and was wondering if anyone knew what to take when/if my hair begins to thin? And if there is anything to take, when I should begin taking it? I will be on quite a few multivitamins but I'm not sure if this will be enough. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! :) 

PattyL
on 1/23/15 5:19 am

You might lose hair and you might not.  I lost none and my sister lost a lot!  You can take things like biotin but it's a crap shoot whether or not it works!

MsBatt
on 1/23/15 6:36 am

Google 'telogen effluvium' and read up on why this happens, and why there's nothing you can do about it.

K P.
on 1/24/15 3:57 am
DS on 07/08/14

I started loosing more hair than normal about 4 months out. I took all my vitamins (and my 6 months labs were good with only two areas needing improvement). I have a lot of hair, but it is thin. I read a suggestion from someone on the boards who mentioned they cut their hair and it wasn't as noticeable. I don't think mine was noticeable to anyone but me, but I chopped my hair off anyway - lost 100lbs might as well change my whole look. Months 4 and 5 were the worst, but its not like I got bald spots or anything. These last two months I have noticed I seem to be back to my normal amount of shedding :) 

I think biotin works for some people - but I didn't want to add anything to my vitamin regime without talking to my Dr and I never got around to asking them.  Good luck!

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Alwayzbsingin04
on 1/24/15 11:55 am - Westland, MI
DS on 01/28/15

I too think that I'm just going to go with it and take only my recommended vitamins. My good friend had bypass surgery and her hair thinned quite a bit, she also chopped it off and it looked super cute! Like you said new you :) thank you and everyone else for your feedback! Appreciate it :) 

Valerie G.
on 1/26/15 9:23 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It doesn't matter what you take.  Old hair is bring pushed out by new, and it cannot be prevented or stopped artificially by supplement or shampoo.

If it's going to happen, it will happen a few months post-op, and stop in a few months.  Telogen Effluvium is what you want to read about so you understand what it is and why it's happening.

My best recommendation is to plan yourself a makeover for some cute layers to blend in that new growth about to emerge so you don't look like a chia pet.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/15 2:56 pm

To deal with the hair loss problem, consider taking vita4life’s hair skin and nail vitamin after your surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 356 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views