Dr. Shadle from Sacramento

juliew
on 2/22/15 6:35 pm - Stockton, CA

Has anyone had him perform their DS? I did a search here on OH and only got posts from patients that had a VSG from him. His website states he does the DS though. I will be calling his office tomorrow to see if he takes my insurance (Health Plan of San Joaquin, which is under Medi-Cal), but in the meantime I'd like opinions on what kind of surgeon Dr. Shadle is, how his staff is, etc.  

Wanting the DS! 

If you care enough for the result, you will almost always attain it. - William James

Valerie G.
on 2/22/15 9:27 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've not heard of him as a DS surgeon.  That being said brings up a couple of ideas.

• There are several DS surgeons in CA that he may have been learning from, so ask who proctored him. 
    • SADI seems to be coming out of the woodwork now.  This is a new procedure that's been around not quite 2 yrs yet and while results so far are looking promising, there is no long-term data on it.  It must be easier to perform than the DS, because surgeons are picking it up that never did the DS before.
    • If the surgeon says "Well, lets do a Sleeve on you now and see...then we can do DS later if we need it".  Unless there is a specific medical reason to not get the DS in the first place, walk away.  He probably doesn't do it at all.
    • Finally, this is something to be wary of - some surgeons have been known to list the DS as an offering, only to convince the patient that a distal RNY is almost the same thing.  Know that it is nowhere close to the same thing, and write that doc off as unscrupulous.  We call them "Bait and don't Switch" surgeons.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 2/22/15 9:36 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
juliew
on 2/23/15 5:21 am - Stockton, CA

I know that I definitely do not want an RNY, the SADI-S or anything other than the DS. I have actually been going to a surgeon for about 6 months now and have been telling his office all along I want the DS and his staff always agreed that was best for me, but I found out the other evening through one of his PA's (that works at a different office than the one I'm going to) that I was going to get the new method he is doing and give me a 300cm common channel in a SADI-S. As far as I can tell, nobody his office or the surgeon (I haven't even met him yet) were planning to tell me this information. I've been reading that surgeons are doing this to patients now, giving them the SADI-S and not telling them, so they think they have a DS, eat like they have a DS, etc.

So now I'm basically starting all over again and have wasted the last 6 months. Ugh.

Wanting the DS! 

If you care enough for the result, you will almost always attain it. - William James

Valerie G.
on 2/23/15 5:28 am, edited 2/23/15 5:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Sorry about the double-response earlier.   It's definitely disappointing but better you know now than after the fact.  It's so discerning that they are so elusive about intentions, to the patient as well as the insurance companies.

Look a little further down to find a post from a gal who got the SADI thinking she had gotten the DS. 

Update on my experience with SADI

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

juliew
on 2/23/15 7:18 am - Stockton, CA

Yes, I read her posts about what happened yesterday. I saw it at just the right time too with finding out that was possibly going to happen to me. 

Wanting the DS! 

Crazeru
on 2/24/15 8:16 am

You may want to travel down to SF and go to Dr Rabkin's info session on the 2nd Wed of the month at St Mary's in the cafeteria at 6pm.  We do have a DS group that meets here in Sac on the 3rd Thursday at Golden Corral on Watt in NH at 6pm.  I think Dr Cirangle use to come up to Sac from SF.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Eyezsmile33
on 4/12/15 10:23 am

Hi Julie, 

Just wanted to see if you had any good info from Dr Shadle. I had the lap band in 09 with Coirin and then a revision to the VSG in Aug, 14. My vsg has been a complete waste, I have lost 26 lbs total and am constantly hungry and I'm struggling more now than prior to surgery to maintain, let alone, try to lose.

I'm really interested in revising to the DS. I was told Coirin doesn't do the DS procedure and Coates rarely does it, if at all. Not sure if that's accurate, but curious of anyone else locating a doctor in the Sac area. I'm located in Lodi myself. 

Thanks!!

juliew
on 4/12/15 11:18 am - Stockton, CA

Hi. I actually never called Dr. Shadle's office. I found out from someone on another site that he is very new to performing the DS and I want someone with more experience.

And yes, both Coates and Coirin no longer perform the traditional DS. Coates started about 4 years ago, then last September switched to the Loop and both his son (Matthew Coates) and Coirin followed. I went to Coates' office for 5 visits always saying I wanted the DS and the PA's always agreed. Then I found out from one of his PA's (through a PM on Facebook) that he does the Loop and that is what I'd get. All that wasted time. Now I'm trying to get Dr. Keshishian as my surgeon. He doesn't take my insurance, but I am trying to work around that.

Wanting the DS! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views