Losing to much weight

Parker71
on 3/26/15 2:59 am - NJ

I had my DS in 2010 and I have lost 145 pounds and cant stop.  My doctor has put me on  creon to gain weight.   But may have to go back in to have surgery to stop the weight lose.  I have lose so much weight that I see all my bones and it hurts to even sit. 

My question is has anyone else have this problem?

Wendy

larra
on 3/26/15 3:22 am - bay area, CA

Creon can make a big difference. Get in as many calories as you can. You may also need nutritional supplementation along with the Creon. This can be given IV, and if so, you will absorb that supplementation just as well as anyone who has not had a DS.

Hopefully these will all be temporary measures. A few years ago I knew someone in a local support group for the DS who went through this, and he was able to stop the Creon after a few months and has done fine ever since. I also knew someone who needed a revision to stop his weight loss, but it wasn't necessary to completely reverse the "switch" part of the DS. One of the great things about the DS is that the limb lengths can be adjusted if needed. It's still  major surgery of course, but you keep your DS.

Larra

Parker71
on 3/26/15 5:44 am - NJ

Thank you Larra

Wendy

beemerbeeper
on 3/26/15 3:23 am - AL

Some but not many. Try to hold out as long as you are healthy lab wise. Some suggestions: start or increase protein shakes. Some have taken up to 5 a day. I used to do 3 a day. A sore butt from sitting is normal!! Use a gel cushion from the auto section of Walmart or an auto parts store the weight will redistribute some. 

How much protein and carbs are you getting? Do you graze throughout the day?

what does your normal day of bites look like?

Becky 

Parker71
on 3/26/15 5:49 am - NJ

I get about 120 protein and I have up my carbs.  My labs all look good.  I will take in more protein shakes I have two a day now.

Breakfast  eggs , bacon maybe saugage

Lunch  tuna or chicken with shake

Dinner meat some veg and a carb

snack shake

pick all day long

Wendy

beemerbeeper
on 3/26/15 8:39 am, edited 3/26/15 8:40 am - AL

It's really hard to change from low carb once we worked so hard. But you need to add more carbs throughout the day. Fruit is high in carbs and usually sits fine. Grains are highcarb too. Toast, crackers, grain cereal with heavy whipping cream if lactose is a problem. 

You aren't eating enough IMO. Eat healthy carbs for snacks. Sticking with your low carb diet isn't working to slow down your loss.

i wouldn't even think you know if you need creon since you are still eating a weight loss diet. If you add healthy carbs like fruits and whole grains and still are loosing then more aggressive methods should be considered. 

Does that help at all?

Parker71
on 3/30/15 4:31 am - NJ

Thank you

Wendy

Brandy G.
on 3/26/15 9:44 am
DS on 08/20/14

There was a guy at the Seattle DS Group who was in the same boat and his surgeon kept pushing him to add more carbs to fix it.  He finally choose to start drinking a beer or two a day.  :-)  I don't think anything could have made him as happy and it worked.  I hope you can find a solution you like half as much. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Parker71
on 3/30/15 4:30 am - NJ

a Beer a day I have never heard that.  But I have up my carbs and that did not work at all

Wendy

K P.
on 3/26/15 1:06 pm
DS on 07/08/14

How about adding some nuts? Or more snacks. Check out the daily Vites post - maybe you can pick up some more ideas on what to add. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views