VSG to DS in 2 weeks and nervous

Ellie4me
on 4/21/15 8:43 am

Had my VSG 2012 and did great, lost 100 lbs and hit my goal.  The last couple of years I've been slowly gaining again and after I lost of my dear mom, I really gained again.  Now I've gain about about half back which has been so heart breaking.  So now I am considering....well booked to have the DS.  I am self pay and plan to go back to mexico. I wasn't afraid of having the VSG at all but the DS has me scared.  The money isn't the issue, I just don't want to anything bad to happen and I don't want to go through another surgery that doesn't last.

I like reading about those that are 5 and 7 years out and still doing good.

Any advise you can give would be helpful.   I don't eat carbs but sugar is my issue.  Will the DS help with sugar?

Thanks

Ellie

hollykim
on 4/21/15 11:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 21, 2015 at 3:43 PM Pacific Time, Ellie4me wrote:

Had my VSG 2012 and did great, lost 100 lbs and hit my goal.  The last couple of years I've been slowly gaining again and after I lost of my dear mom, I really gained again.  Now I've gain about about half back which has been so heart breaking.  So now I am considering....well booked to have the DS.  I am self pay and plan to go back to mexico. I wasn't afraid of having the VSG at all but the DS has me scared.  The money isn't the issue, I just don't want to anything bad to happen and I don't want to go through another surgery that doesn't last.

I like reading about those that are 5 and 7 years out and still doing good.

Any advise you can give would be helpful.   I don't eat carbs but sugar is my issue.  Will the DS help with sugar?

Thanks

Ellie

actually,sugar IS a carb,so you then ARE eating carbs. And no the DS won't help with sugar, we absorb 100% of the sugar we eat. There is no malabsorption of carbs.

Ellie4me
on 4/21/15 11:32 am

can you help me with the breakdown of food categories after the DS? 

hollykim
on 4/22/15 12:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

we malabsorption protein and fat so our diets need to be higher in those. I think we malabsorb something like 40% of the fat we eat and  about the same in protein. 

We need to eat high protein,high fat and low carb. Calories don't matter ,as much. 

Carbs, Whole flour products,refined sugar,products such as crackers cookies cakes candy etc are absorbed at 100%. Even whole wheat products,while they absorb a tiny bit slower,are stiLl absorbed at nearly 100%.

larra
on 4/22/15 3:11 am - bay area, CA

Actually, the selective fat malabsorption of the DS means that we only absorb about 20% of the fat we consume, so fat can be eaten freely, used for cooking, etc. We malabsorp 40 - 60% of the protein we eat, so we need to eat plenty of protein to maintain good nutrition. We do absorb carbs, whi*****ludes sugars, so those must be limited.

Who will be doing your revision to DS? The only DS surgeon in Mexico that most of us would recommend is Dr. Ungson.

Larra

Ellie4me
on 4/22/15 9:34 am

Yes, Dr. Ungson is doing the DS.  But I'm really wondering if I should get it.  I don't eat much protein, I mean I have to supplement with whey protein every day.  I've gained because of eating cookies and sugar candy.  If I continue to eat them, I don't think the ds will help me at all.  I like green smoothies with lots of fresh fruit, oatmeal, lean cuisine for lunch, crackers with peanutbutter for dinner.  All day I drink crystal light mixed with protein.  I drink coffee with creamer but otherwise I don't drink milk or eat much of any dairy.  My treat is a soft serve cone from McDonalds.  My guilty item is wethers candy, which are all sugar.

Looking at my normal food intake, I'm really wondering if the DS will help me.  What do you think?

larra
on 4/22/15 10:07 am - bay area, CA

There is no bariatric operation that will help you unless you are willing to help yourself by emphasizing protein in your diet and cutting out the sugary stuff. With the Ds you do have more leeway than with other operations, in that you don't need to count calories and you can get away with a treat here and there, but you really need to eat plenty of protein because some of what you eat will not be absorbed. So, if you don't get in enough protein, you will become malnourished.

And, if you continue to eat a lot of sugary stuff, it will prevent your weight loss or lead to weight regain. The diet you are eating now does not sound balanced or healthy, with or without surgery.

The good news is that you don't have to stick to "lean" protein because we malabsorb fat. You can eat lean or fatty forms of protein, including cheese, bacon,  chicken thighs (with the skin if you like), fatty cuts of meat, etc. You can cook with or without fat, which makes it easier and gives you more options as well. You can use protein shakes or drinks if that helps you, though some people don't tolerate the ones with whey. You would also need to take certain vitamins and minerals every day - this is a lifetime commitment and not optional. Some people are frightened off by the word "malabsorption", but malabsorption does not equal malnutrition unless you let it happen.

It sounds like you are aware of your issues, and that you need to give some serious consideration to this important decision. Take the time you need to learn everything you can about the DS before going forward. I think it's a great bariatric operation but it does require a commitment to protein and vitamins to maintain good nutritional health. And that's more important than how much weight you lose.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 358 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views