protein

kat1780
on 5/5/15 11:49 am

Hi I'm 4 days out of having the sips surgery, today was my first day home & attempt at taking in all these fluids that are suggested.  I'm having a hard time & was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.  I was only able to get 25g of protein today with a combined total of 60 Fl oz.  Help please !!!!

airbender
on 5/5/15 12:53 pm

you are doing great!!!  your #1 prority is to stay hydrated, cause you dont want to go back in to get acouple of bags of fluids.  then work on protein, if you cant eat it, then protein shakes, depending on what you dr told you.  essentially after you fluids intake of 64 oz+, more is better then, 30 g protein 30 days, 60 g protein 60 days, and 90 g protein 90 days....

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

K P.
on 5/5/15 4:50 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Focus on your fluids and whatever it takes to hit that goal right now! Avoiding dehydration is your biggest concern. Dehydration is a slippery slope, trust me, I got there and still months later cant believe it happened to me. 

I started getting my goal of 90 grams of protein towards the end of my second week, but that is fairly uncommon. The rule you will see all over is the 30/60/90. 30g at 30 days etc. I have no lactose problems either so whey protein and sheer determination were my saving grace :)

As far as tricks for getting in all your fluid, I mixed in apple juice. Not a lot, started with a 50/50 mix and gradually worked down. I never liked apple juice much but after surgery I did. I also found some crystal light and mio water enhancers. Now I still use the crystal light & mio but I also love the taste of water. You will feel like all you do is drink, and rest. But its worth it.

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

kat1780
on 5/6/15 1:18 pm

Thanks so much for responding.  After surgery did you find some discomfort in the following days? I'm really uncomfortable & sleeping a lot so it's hard to get in the fluids when I'm not awake. Lol  today I tried yogurt, that was pretty good.  Any advice I'd really appreciate it

K P.
on 5/6/15 1:28 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Of course you will be uncomfortable! They just rearranged your intestines! For me I walked as much as I could. It was tough, but I walked up and down my hall way and every commercial I walked. I also sipped the whole time I was awake. I felt like all I did was drink, walk, and sleep, for days thats all I did. Just keep focusing on getting your fluid and walking, then rest. 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

NoreenRT
on 5/6/15 5:24 pm - Warner Robins, GA

Congratulations on your surgery and to better health! If I remember correctly it was at least 2 weeks before I felt like eating.

i kept a water bottle in my hand at all times. I couldn't tolerate room temp or even cold fluids so this was especially hard for me. I just made the water warm. 

My advise is not to worry about vitamins or food right now. Stay hydrated and walk, walk walk. 

I also slept sitting upright in a big oversized chair for weeks.

it does get better, I promise.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

kat1780
on 5/13/15 5:45 pm

Thanks so much Noreen !!  How much water were you taking in during the first couple weeks.  I'm averaging 50-60oz..  

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/15 8:43 pm

Hi Kat, congratulations on your SIPS surgery. I had the same procedure 6 months ago this coming Monday, and I'm down about 100lbs. In other words, it works. The week I had the surgery, I only lost about 6 or 7lbs but I still knew it was working.

I remember the first week very well, and I could also not get down much protein, and I personally can't stand the powder in milk since it's way to much powder jammed into too little Milk. I would suggest you try Premier Protein which you can buy at Costco. It has about 30g per serving and tastes bearable. I prefer the chocolate. I also use HumaPro powder which is expensive ($50+) but last for a number of months. The scoop size is only a thumbnail for 25g's.

Lastly, at 5 days out, I had soft mashed potatoes (about 4oz) with chicken broth instead of gravy, and it was one of the best meals in my life. By 2 weeks out, you can have Wendy's Chili which will also taste really good after eating mush for 2 weeks.

kat1780
on 5/13/15 5:51 pm

Thank you so much !!  If you don't mind I have a few more questions for you since I can't really find many people who had this SIPS surgery.  How much were you able to walk in the first couple weeks & how much pain were you in? I find that my right side is still in pain constantly and gets worse when I walk.  Also I'm soooo tired, like I'm getting weak.  My doctor doesn't have me on any type of food until week 4 when I start thin puréed.  I'm going to try that protein you suggested.  I've been trying to drink @ least 1 gnc lean shake 25 grams a day but that's all I'm able to get in.   Any suggestions you have would be great. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/15 9:12 pm

I really didn't do any exercise for a few months, but I am usually active for a sedentary person, mostly due to having 4 kids and needing to support their hobbies and needs.

I was generally feeling good the first month although easily fatigued. Once you start taking vitamins, especially IRON, it will help a lot with your energy levels.

One thing you should know is most people having the DS procedure nowadays are having the SADi/Sips/Single Loop DS. Most people on this site who have had a DS in the past year had the newer procedure since all the DS surgeons are recommending it unless there is some unusual complication.

The new procedure has less complications and stellar weight loss so no reason not to have it for most people.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 148 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views