Intestinal gas

1blessedl8d
on 5/20/15 4:22 am

I'm 16 years post op and have struggled with things over the yrs, not the least of which is regain.  One thing I'm really struggling with right now is intestinal gas.  It's not even with diarrhea like it was years ago.  It can be with constipation or diarrhea.  I've tried to see if it is something I'm eating, maybe carbs?  At any rate, I've been battling this particular episode for about 5 days now with no relief.  I've tried charcoal, which has worked well in the past but it isn't taking care of it.  I've done stretching, walking, baths, heating pad, liquid diet, anything.  Doctors have been no help.  I have no DS doctor support here anymore and no one around me has any knowledge of the DS.  Any thoughts about this?  I should add that I've noticed overnight that I am extremely thirsty despite drinking plenty.  I was up all night with this belly pain and up and down for drink.  I feel dehydrated despite drinking alot.  Thanks for any advice you can give.  

hollykim
on 5/20/15 12:24 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 20, 2015 at 4:22 AM Pacific Time, 1blessedl8d wrote:

I'm 16 years post op and have struggled with things over the yrs, not the least of which is regain.  One thing I'm really struggling with right now is intestinal gas.  It's not even with diarrhea like it was years ago.  It can be with constipation or diarrhea.  I've tried to see if it is something I'm eating, maybe carbs?  At any rate, I've been battling this particular episode for about 5 days now with no relief.  I've tried charcoal, which has worked well in the past but it isn't taking care of it.  I've done stretching, walking, baths, heating pad, liquid diet, anything.  Doctors have been no help.  I have no DS doctor support here anymore and no one around me has any knowledge of the DS.  Any thoughts about this?  I should add that I've noticed overnight that I am extremely thirsty despite drinking plenty.  I was up all night with this belly pain and up and down for drink.  I feel dehydrated despite drinking alot.  Thanks for any advice you can give.  

do you use a lot of sugar alcohol products? Things that end with " itol" they give me horrible gas. 

Pother wise I would say it is carbs,even bread or pasta gives me terrible gas

larra
on 5/20/15 2:03 pm - bay area, CA

It sounds like it might be caused by bacterial overgrowth, either in the small intestine or the colon. A short course of flagyl might clear it up. Any doc could prescribe this for you, so you could try discussing this with your pcp. It might be helpful to provide your pcp with an article about the DS, as most docs who are not bariatric surgeons are unaware of the existence of this operation, let alone knowledgeable about it.

Larra

Valerie G.
on 5/20/15 5:26 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

^^^^^^^These ladies are right!

Common causes of gas

• simple carbs
  • artificial sweeteners
  • lactose intolerance
  • bacterial imbalance

Add for me, onions, whey protein powder, terriyaki sauce and straight milk (when all other dairy is fine).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

1blessedl8d
on 5/20/15 5:41 pm

I discovered today that a new vitamin b12 supplement I started taking has one of the sweeteners you mentioned.  It is a sub-lingual.  I didn't think there would be enough to really cause a problem though.  I stopped it yesterday.  Still having trouble though.  I will say, there is a stomach bug going around and my hubby has it but he hurts upper belly in the stomach area, not like my lower intestinal stuff.  One thing I have wondered about over the years, it seems like when there is a stomach virus going around, most people all have the same symptoms but I will, out of no where, develop intestinal issues.  Their symptoms may be nausea and vomiting and I will be hit with diarrhea and gas.  I've always wondered if these viruses just affect me different or if I'm just imagining that.  

Valerie G.
on 5/20/15 6:01 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your viruses may be the effects of what you're eating (or not).  Add a probiotic for sure to your regime.  This will help populate the good flora.  An imbalance left to fester can turn into an infection in the bowels too.  I would recommend seeing a doc to get a script for flagyl, wipe out all flora and start over with probiotics.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 124 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 665 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views