Considering a DS (had sleeve 3 years ago)

AmberK
on 7/19/15 9:19 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with

hello all!

i have been researching the DS and have not come up with much info! Please give any help or experiences you may have had. I had the sleev in March of 2012. I was 249 the day of surgery and got down down to 165. Last summer I had a tummy tuck and breast lift! I was doing well, maintaing, working out at crossfit, eating Paleo etc.  I made it through the holidays with zero weight gain! My doc put me on lexapro in February, and within 6 weeks gained 20 pounds. I got off that and have battling the weight ever since. I am up to 205 now. I still workout 5 times a week and have been struggling terribly. I am considering the DS or lapband (not even site if that's an option with a sleeve).  Thanks for any insight! 

PattyL
on 7/20/15 11:32 am

You already know restriction alone is not enough for you so why even consider the crap band?  Looks like you need the malabsorbtion to be successful long term.

You need to read and learn on as many sites as possible!

AmberK
on 7/20/15 12:33 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with

Thank you Patty    I agree, really the band is not an option   

I have an appt. with Dr. Nichlosn next week and will see what he thinks!

PattyL
on 7/20/15 3:36 pm

I do not recognize this surgeon as a regular DS doc.  Be sure he does the real DS and familiarize yourself with a diagram so you know the difference.

Always follow the money!  The Toyota dealer will not tell you about the Nissan and a surgeon will do his/her best to sell you a surgery they do.  Beware of bait and don't switch docs.  Saying they do the DS here means nothing.  It gets you in the office so they can sell you on something else.

need2gethealthy
on 7/24/15 11:50 am

I was in the same shoes for 3 years.  Stuck at 205#.  Last Tues I added the DS to my sleeve.  I am doing well so far but of course too early for me to tell you any more. 

I knew on the third day of my pre op diet that I was doing the right thing because I just couldn't fight with it anymore.  I thought yes, I'll gladly trade the constant fight with no results for a good eating plan of real food, vitamins and labs.  It was a scary decision for me to say the least but I was just too unhappy (lexapro didn't help me either).  I feel excited again now with this help for another start.

Keep reading and researching and asking questions.  There are kind people who will really help you out.  They were good for me.

AmberK
on 7/24/15 7:36 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with

So excited for you that you choose to do the DS!!! I really think its what I need to be successful long term, but I'm nervous my doc think I weight too little. What did your doc say about you only being 205?  How tall are you? I'm 5'5 so my BMI is 33.

Was the DS more expensive than the original sleeve? Did they do anything to your sleeve or just add the DS?

How was your surgery as far as pain and difficulty? My sleeve was very hard on me but my TT was a breeze.... LOL  wierd

Thanks for your reply and info!

I pray that you have amazing results and are happy with the DS!!!

need2gethealthy
on 7/24/15 9:25 pm

Thank you for the well wishes, Amber, I appreciate all the prayers I can get..

Good questions--

I am 5'3" (supposed to be another 1/2" but maybe I'm shrinking)  My BMI was 35.  My Dr. (Dr. Teel) really didn't talk about the bmi but rather how I gained all my wt back in a short amount of time after the sleeve.  I told him how good I'd felt with the weight off and how healthy I was and- that was it.

Yes the DS was more expensive but honestly I do not know the cost (thankfully my ins covered both surgeries 100%)

No, he did not touch the sleeve- he said he doesn't like to do that because of the higher risk of problems.  He did an upper GI and looked things over and thought it all looked ok.

I agree with you on the pain per person.  I am scared to death to have a TT and I really need it but I've heard mostly bad n scary pain.

The sleeve- I didn't know I had anything done- had to go looking for surgery sites.  I'd heard the sleeve was the worst of the two so I wasn't ready for much pain and honestly it's not bad just slower healing.  The pain was prob about a 5-6 when I first came out of surgery and they may have already given me something for it but when I asked the nurse for something she said she couldn't give me anything because it was making me sleepy and when I went to sleep I was not breathing (something I did not know until that moment). That evening when I got in my room they gave me something (not sure if it was a shot in iv or pills).  After that they gave me 2 norco every 4-6 hrs as needed.  My stomach is swollen and sore (surgery was last Tues).  Bearable and havent taken meds since the 2nd day home.  I stayed over night 1 night.

As I learn more I will let you know.  I wish I could help you decide but I think you are doing a great job gathering your info and I'm so early out for an opinion.  I am excited for health and happiness once again tho, so that's good.  If you survived a TT you are tough.  And maybe the sleeve part would be the harder part for you and the DS will be a breeze.

Again, it wasn't bad at all.  I'd do it all over tomorrow.

Markorlandofl
on 8/14/15 2:26 am

10days out from my revision. down 16 lbs. The pain in my opinion was less this time.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 271 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views