Need some diet advice

jashley
on 8/6/15 9:00 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I am looking to shave back some calories.  At least the bad ones.  So I'm doing better on the low carb, but would really like to eat salads and veggies and fruit.  What bums me is eating  more than 1 cup of veggies/fruit a day will send me to the bathroom for the next day.  Veggies do a number on me, salads more so than cooked veggies.

How much veggie/fruit matter do you consume a day?  If I eat this cup of veggies, then increase it little by little, will my system get used to it and adjust to the fiber?

Going to have to start shrinking my stomach again also.  I'm able to eat over 1 cup of food per meal, so I've turned into a chow hound this last year.

MajorMom
on 8/7/15 2:12 am - VA

Are you taking probiotics? They might help with the raw veggies. 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jashley
on 8/7/15 10:01 pm
DS on 12/19/12

Yes, I do take probiotics.  Good ones.  But it dosn't keep things together, so to speak.

I just seem super fiber sensitive and wondered if everyone is because we don't have the intestines to break it down.  I imagine that it goes through my system like a big ol' shop broom.

MajorMom
on 8/8/15 3:24 am - VA

I'm pretty lucky with eating veggies and fruit but I try not to over do it. We are all so unique when it comes to what we can handle, I hope you can find your sweet spot. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Vikki C.
on 8/8/15 11:02 am

Jashley, I had a problem with salads for a few years after surgery, but eventually I became able to digest them without problems.  I would recommend that you don't try to eat more than a small salad at any one time, both because of bowel irritation and because you don't want to stretch your stomach any further.  Also, part of the problem could be due to the amount of fat in the salad dressing.  Sure, we can eat fats because we don't absorb them; however, for some people, foods with high fat content will cause bowel upset.  Also, if you find that cooked or raw veggies cause excess gas, a product like Beano taken with the first mouthful will help.

If you want to limit your carbs, be careful of the fruits you eat, some are much higher in carbs than others.

PattyL
on 8/8/15 12:12 pm

I seldom eat fruit but I do eat salads and low carb veggies like cabbage and green beans.  If I'm going to have carbs, it's going to be chocolate, not fruit!  I think your body does adapt to more veggies over time.

jashley
on 8/8/15 12:50 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I'm grateful to hear that over time my system will be able to hand veggies.  I'm at 2.5 years out - although it feels like a life time ago - so I take heart that my system will adjust over time. 

While I have very much enjoyed eating everything and any thing my eyes saw this past year, my weight gain tells me its the 20lb bounce back and I need to get it nipped in the bud before it becomes the 40lb bounce back.

Thanks for responding.

AngelnChains
on 8/8/15 1:58 pm
DS on 11/17/14

How do you shrink your stomach??? 

jashley
on 8/8/15 3:11 pm
DS on 12/19/12

good question.  shink your food helpings over time.  quit eating so much per meal.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 92 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 92 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 647 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views