Need to drop 10lbs before surgery 9/30

lizdmca
on 8/22/15 5:39 pm

I finally got through all the hoops and they have scheduled my surgery for next month and told me I have to be under the weight I was at my first Doctor's visit.  That means I have to loose 10lbs or everything I've done so far was for nothing.  Any tips on how to drop a few pounds quickly would be gret.  How did you (anyone) in my position do it.  So far ive been keeping track of the food I eat and keeping my calories under 2000. 

thanks for your time

bigmikebigfoothunter
on 8/23/15 5:02 am
DS on 03/10/14

Start with low calorie protein shakes and stick to a high protein diet. I never successfully lost any weight until my pre surgery weight loss for the DS. Remember we ALL on here struggled with weight. So if I can do it u can too. U have plenty of time. Leave those carbs alone because trust me they will make u leave them alone after this surgery. I know it's not so simple. I weighed 480 pounds but through people like Gina , Pete, Larra and hundreds more I realized that this journey can't start the day you get surgery. You will be miserable to think u can keep the same habits as the old days. The difference is u KNOW u have a real tool headed your way that will do 80 % of the work. Push through this part. Get excited about your future success, but start your journey today. Take it hour by hour. Day by day. It does get easier. You need to shrink your liver as much as possible to help the surgeon do his job. This is your life and it's important.. Be happy and know this is a small step to a giant leap forward!!! U can do this.- Mike

lizdmca
on 8/23/15 2:13 pm

Thank you for your support, and suggestions.  I have cut breads and pasta out of my diet for the most part and sodas.  I have been keeping my calories under 2000 since I found out about needing to loose the weight and it is starting to help, ive weighed myself every day at the same time with clothes on and I have already dropped 1lb.  I know it doesn't seem like much but it gives me hope. I will pick up some protein shakes tomorrow so that I will consume even less. Thank you again :)

Gwen M.
on 8/23/15 10:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The only thing that worked for me pre-op was to replace all the meals I ate alone with protein shakes.  What that meant for me was that, most days, I replaced breakfast and lunch with a protein shake.  I still ate a regular dinner and, on the rare times I went out to lunch with a friend, I'd eat a regular lunch.  I did keep an eye on portions and made sure to eat dense proteins first and avoid obviously unhealthy foods like fried things.  

This worked really well for me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lizdmca
on 8/23/15 2:15 pm

Thank you Gwen,  I will be buying some protein shakes tomorrow so that I can try and replace two meals like you did, it sounds more effective than simply cutting my calories.

Thank you again :)

Gwen M.
on 8/23/15 6:26 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You're welcome.  It was hard, but I'm glad I did it.  I think it helped me get into the right mindset pre-op as well.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jason W.
on 8/23/15 11:40 pm - Ione, CA

I live in Amador County if there's any way I can help you I'd be more than happy to. I can go for walks with you to help you L is the way I can give you recipes if you need them I just want to be there for you as others were there for me please message me if we live close enough and we can work this out and get things rolling.

BebeZed
on 8/26/15 2:03 pm - Bellingham, WA

I'm waiting to schedule a surgery date and I'm also trying to drop a bit of weight. I've lost 26 lbs since June 1st, and I am doing pretty much what others described: cutting out the carbs and drinking two protein powder shakes a day (breakfast and lunch) and then having a normal dinner. I don't worry about portions because once I dumped the carbs I've found I eat a whole lot less... but I did modify my "normal" meals to be high-protein and include very few carbs (if any). 

Good luck to you! I am hoping that my surgery won't be too much after yours... 

Good luck on your journey! 

lizdmca
on 8/29/15 5:55 am, edited 8/29/15 5:56 am

Thank you to everyone for the tips and support.  Just wanted to give a little update, I have lost 4lbs in 2 weeks!  It may not seem like much but I've reached nearly half the weight I need to loose before I can have my surgery. 4 weeks and 6lbs or more to go  feeling motivated!

MSSEXXC74
on 9/8/15 4:58 pm

2000 calories us quite a bit. I have seen people need to eat 2000 to maintain but never loose. For me I have to eat 1200 in order to loose. Where did you get that 2000 number from? 

MSSEXXC

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 296 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 768 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views