2 weeks post op and feeling $#/!!y

Raqandro
on 8/21/15 8:08 pm

I prepared for bad. I researched, watched every video, read every blog, etc. I knew I'd regret it at some point. 

2 weeks out and I feel horrible. I can't eat, I'm nauseas and exhausted.  I've been in touch with my surgeon and so far they're not worried . My husband and I are both health professionals so we know the warning signs of major issues. 

I can't lift or carry my kids, I'm too exhausted to play with them and it's killing me. I know, wo is me.  I know the first month (s) is a roller-coaster of emotions. 

I just want to know that the chest pain and nausea will go away and that someday I won't be sickened by the thought or sight of food. That I'll be able to stand for more than five minutes before needing to lie down. Logically, I know things will improve, but I need to rant. 

This just plain sucks!! Worse than I thought it would. 

Thanks!

south2north
on 8/22/15 2:55 pm
DS on 11/19/14

I felt the same way.  I drank A LOT of warm green tea and rested the warm cup on my stomach!!  It does end and you will begin to feel so much better.  Then in the blink of an eye you'll be down 100 pounds and feel incredible!!! Hang in there!

Raqandro
on 8/22/15 3:11 pm

Thank you!!

Brandy G.
on 8/22/15 2:55 pm
DS on 08/20/14

You probably know all of what I'm about to say, but ....

The key to getting through this is to fix the problems you have.  Immediately if possible.   Put yourself first and deal with the cards as they are dealt to you.  This is especially important after having surgery in Mexico.   Things are done enough differently in Mexico that it is best if you just decide that you own fixing any issues 1000%.  I will warn you that the solutions you find will be individualized and may not work all the time.  I kept telling myself that it all part of the journey and that there isn't an easy way to lose 150 lbs, but that really didn't make the first three months much easier.  Just keep experimenting. 

I don't know anything about chest pain, so I'm just going ignore that one.  I assume you talked to Mexicali about it.  I would also mention it to your PCP. 

My guess that fixing the nausea would bring everything else into tolerable ranges.  Nausea is the *worst*.  Once you get than handled, you life will improve a thousand percent.  I would do a separate post on just this and gather people's feedback.  Things that might work for you:

• See your Primary Care Physician.  Call him/her right now.   There are several prescription drugs that are miracle workers for most people.  The don't even have icky side effects like pain pills do.  Talk to them about doubling your acid blocker dose as well. 
  • Tea, Bananas, Crackers and ginger  - the normal anti-nausea foods.  Yes I know they have carbs.  Health before skinny.  My guess is you are not getting in enough calories now that it would matter one bit. 
  • Figure out what the trigger is and avoid that.  The smell of eggs got to me for a while. 
  • Queasy Drops - an anti-nausea candy.  Works sometimes when nothing else will.  Can be hard to find, but Amazon has it. 
  • Cannabis / Pot - I live in a legal state and it works for me. 
  • Time - Keep plugging  at it, but it does seem like people do not have to keep up high priority treatment for too long...
  • In the early days I would pretend that I had lost a sword fight that had given me a gut wound.  It helped keep things in perspective.  I mean, two weeks after losing a sword fight would you expect to be hungry? (or pick up your kids?)   I don't know if this one would work for anybody else. 

I just passed the one year mark.  When I we were driving to do the bloodwork my husband and I freaked out when the words "I'm hungry" came out of my mouth!  WOW!  I wanted food enough to complain about it??  I am getting back to normal!!   Yeah!

Good luck. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Raqandro
on 8/22/15 3:10 pm

Thanks so much for your advice. I'll  get right on it. I did Zofran with no success. I do think the empty stomach isn't helping matters. I've lost 21.6 lbs in 2 weeks.yikes. 

Thanks again 

K

larra
on 8/22/15 7:59 pm - bay area, CA

OK, most of this is pretty normal. I also was exhausted after my surgery, and it took over a month before I felt any energy at all. Some people go through that, others don't. You got it. It WILL get better.

Nauser - often acid can feel like nausea post-op. If you aren't already on a good med for this, such as a PPI, start one. If the first one doesn't work, try a different one. This can make a world of difference.

Can't stand the sight of food - enjoy that while it lasts. It will resolve, and at some point you will feel like eating again. Meanwhile, just do the best you can to stay hydrated, which is far more important early out than food. Get in a few nibbles when you can. Try different soft foods and see what works for you. If something makes you feel crappy, don't push yourself to consume it.

I don't know what to make of your chest pain. I'll leave that one for your docs.

Larra

Raqandro
on 8/22/15 11:34 pm

The chest pain has improved with several antacids and 2 doses of a PPI. not completely alleviated. 

The most bothersome issue is the nausea. It's intense. No vomiting yet. Only the day after surgery I had three episodes of dry heaving. Awful and have been off pain meds since day 1

So now I'm trying to nibble every 2 hours on saltines, baked lays and toast. Just started this 4 hours ago. Still strong nausea, but will keep up with this another day to hopefully see improvement.  

Also drank ginger tea with a touch of honey. It was yummy. 

So appreciative of your suggestions. I'm a bit of a weepy mess, scared that I'll be one of those cases with nausea forever. 

chevtow41
on 8/23/15 5:36 am
DS on 11/11/14

All of those things you are eating are not good with DS. At your stage I was eating a lot of chicken broth - my wife made homemade soup and I strained all the chunks out. I had chest pain and it was gas, which the carbs you are eating will cause. Are you walking a lot? Even just pacing the hall will help. I second Larra's thoughts on trying new PPI, that acid will make you feel awful. 

Raqandro
on 8/23/15 11:44 am

The symptoms started before I started to nibble on these items . I just started last night. They help to soak up the acid. At this point a little of these carb foods.is better than not being able to eat at a all and being  unbearably sick. I have felt some relief. I am walking as well. 

Thanks!

fillen
on 8/23/15 12:34 pm - Seymour, IN
VSG on 08/12/15

While I was still in the hospital the day after surgery I had a swallow test done. Showed that my stomach wàs slow to empty. I had to take pepto bismal, tums, zofran, reglan, gas-x and a ppi. Plus my pain med. I have done that for 2 weeks. Such a difference. Granted I was only sleeved. But something like this might help you. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views