Stopping Weight Loss

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/15 7:43 am

I had the SADi 9 months ago and have been healthy without any serious complications since. I had lab work this months, surgeon and nutritionist follow ups recently with no issues.

My concern is that I'm still losing weight. I started around 287lbs, with a 40 BMI. My goal was about 185 since I'm close to 6'1. Today I'm about 149, and have continued to lose 8 to 10lbs per month.

My low weight is starting to seem dangerous. The doctor was not concerned since everything else is good.

I eat 120 grams of protein, drink fluids, eat a lot of carbs - 125 to 150 daily but I keep losing. I can only get down about 1500 to 1800 calories most days, but I think that's normal 9 months out.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any suggestions?

Valerie G.
on 8/25/15 12:12 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

This will likely be short-lived, but if you're really concernec, ask your doc about a digestive enzyme that he can prescribe you.  Creon is a favorite.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/15 2:31 pm

Thanks but I'm not sure I understand. What does a digestive enzyme do to slow weight loss?

PattyL
on 8/25/15 3:50 pm

They make you absorb more of what you eat.

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/15 8:15 pm

Got it. Thanks

jashley
on 8/26/15 9:32 pm
DS on 12/19/12

Like Val says, it most likely will be short lived.  There usually is a bounce back at the 1.5 yr mark.  My surgeon told me to lose as much as possible and try to get under goal because the bounce back (when your system adjusts to the surgery and starts to absorb a lot more nutrients and calories than it previously could) will bring you back to goal.

You sound like you are doing fine.  Congrats on loss.

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/15 10:56 am

Thanks

airbender
on 8/28/15 5:52 am

what you are experiencing is common and expected.  You are no where near a weight I would think of taking an intervention with.  You are in the peak weight loss phase, of which you will have a few more months.  For your height I would only be concerned if you started to see the 135 mark AND you had some deficiencies, if not ride it out, because you will have a rebound weight, for some it can be substantial.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

White Dove
on 8/28/15 7:33 am - Warren, OH

I just enjoyed about a year of being "too skinny" for the first time in my adult life.  When bounceback came, it was fast and furious.  Now I have to be careful to not gain weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jashley
on 8/30/15 11:53 am
DS on 12/19/12
On August 28, 2015 at 7:33 AM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

I just enjoyed about a year of being "too skinny" for the first time in my adult life.  When bounceback came, it was fast and furious.  Now I have to be careful to not gain weight.

Amen.  It was the nicest year of my life... and then I gained 22lbs back.  And it doesn't come off like it did the first time because my system has over compensated for the malabsorbtion.  Back to dieting.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views