Midway through 3rd week post-op. Need help w/diarrhea issues, pls!

k__
on 9/2/15 11:33 pm - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15

I think the VSL#3 is starting to kick in (packets, ~450 billion bacteria), because gas intensity and smell is starting to subside a bit. However, I haven't figured out the diarrhea. I'm in the post-op puree stage until Monday, at the earliest. I'm taking 2+ tbsp. of chia seed a day as well, mixed with Dannon Light'n'Fit Greek yogurt (lowest carb Greek yogurt I've found). Technically I'm probably not supposed to be eating cheese yet, but I have been anyway. Could that really contribute to diarrhea? I've also had cottage cheese. I made some chopped liver, but that didn't seem to work for me. Also some low-carb egg custard (sweetened with stevia, and using heavy cream). I've had decaf lattes with 2% milk. Taking Lactaid with the dairy foods, just in case, but it hasn't seemed to make any difference.

I'm really at a loss as to what I can eat (aside from going back to clear broths and protein shakes) that won't cause so much of an issue. Should I up my calcium intake (what kind, how much)?

Help!

MajorMom
on 9/3/15 2:17 am - VA

I wouldn't use the heavy cream just yet, you are malabsorbing everything right now.  

The VSL#3...how much are you taking?  It could be your body shedding the bad bugs as VSL#3 adds good ones.

Increase your calcium. I used Citracal  Maximum (2 tablets each time) and it plugged me up. Go slowly to find your sweet spot. Now, I use nothing but Vitalady's Calcim Citrate only in capsule form and have no issues.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

k__
on 9/3/15 9:17 am - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15

Gina - I'm taking one packet of the VSL#3 (450 bil. bugs) per day. I'll increase the calcium like you've suggested and see what that does. Thanks so much!

MajorMom
on 9/3/15 1:01 pm - VA

You might try taking only a 1/2 teaspoon of the VSL#3 twice a day. That's all I take and it might help economize a bit. Maybe what you're taking is a little too much.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 9/3/15 12:15 pm

If you have diarrhea, treat it!  Imodium is your friend.

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/15 4:07 pm

I wouldn't try to do too much at this stage post op. Your body is going thru a lot of transition and the diarrhea is not surprising.

My bowel movements were somewhere between loose stool and close to diarrhea for 4 to 6 months post op, and at 10 months they're still not what I would call normal.

Jazzybz
on 9/4/15 3:54 am

It could be possible you're having a dairy sensitivity. 

katalut
on 9/9/15 9:25 am

my dr requires a clear liquid diet w/ protein shakes for the first 4 weeks post op. includes broths, sugar free popcicles, surgar free jello, and water.

Crazeru
on 9/9/15 6:31 pm

I was lactose intolerant before surgery, after lactose, whey, SF sugar alcohols.  Sorbitol was in my vitamins (I was doing the chewable ones).  You can up your chia seeds to 3x/day.  I know you don't have a lot of room in your tummy right now.  It did take my system a long time. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 90 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 90 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 646 views