Need some words of wisdom please

AngelnChains
on 10/6/15 11:17 am, edited 10/12/15 5:30 pm
DS on 11/17/14

First I need to start with how much I love this site and the fact that anytime I need to chat or information

THIS is where I come :) thank you all!

Now onto my issue. Im almost 11 months out and at the biggest stall of all. I made it to my goal of under 200 and Im staying right between 190 to 195 but its like Ive stopped losing. I havent changed my diet or exercise except to increase in hopes of going over the hump. I have the DS and Colon removal and it was my understanding it takes about 18 months to 2 years to get to the end of losing. What am I doing wrong? My labs are ok, irons ok, ect. Just not sure what to try now. and I keep my carbs low.

Thanks in advance!

edit- NOT colon removal lol thats suppose to be intestine! I dunno what I was thinking when I typed that

Valerie G.
on 10/7/15 6:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I pretty much stopped losing at 14 mos out, but didn't have as much to lose (145 lbs) and was already at goal. Loss really slows down when you're at the tail end of it. I recommend trying more protein and fat now, while keeping carbs low.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/7/15 7:55 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Hey to another Pennsylvanian on this journey,

How long have you been in the 190-195 range? How does this compared to expected results??

Have you been doing weight training??? If you have lost alot of weight, then you have also lost some muscle mass - even if you have had a perfectly balanced diet. Cardo will not restore the lost muscle.

Also, here are the summaries I found for DS long term weight loss. It is based on "excess body weight." You can probably find the studies themselves if you look further.

In the first year following surgery, percent of excess weight lost following DS surgery is between 48% and 65%. Over the long-term, patients lose as much as 75% of their excess weight - See more at: http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/duodenal-switch.html#ResultsIn the first year following surgery, percent of excess weight lost following DS surgery is between 48% and 65%. Over the long-term, patients lose as much as 75% of their excess weight - See more at: http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/duodenal-switch.html#Results

http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/duodenal-switch.html#Resultshttp://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/duodenal-switch.html #Results

Best of Luck,

Sharon

AngelnChains
on 10/12/15 5:26 pm
DS on 11/17/14

Sorry its taken so long to respond, Ive been at this weight going on 3 months now. Its the longest stall thus far for sure and as far as percentage Im not too far off so Im not upset by that, I guess its just the stall itself can be frustrating! Btw great to meet another person from PA as well :)

PeteA
on 10/7/15 9:11 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. How long is the "longest stall"? I went through plenty of stalls on my towards losing over 200 lbs and I think somwhere around 90 - 95% EWL.

I tried a couple of things that seemed to work for other people. I never thought they worked for me but you might try a high carb / high fat day. If you look around the archives these are most often talked about as a Krispy Kreme doughnut stall breaker. The idea is that your body cna get into a little bit of a rut and the occasional change revs your metabolism up.

I think that the extra bathroom time this caused may just clear out your colon a little better.

Alternatively, have you been taking measurements? A lot of times when I stalled, even though the scale didn't show changes my clothes did and I came to the conclusion my bosy just needed to move things around before losing any more weight. I'm not sure that is scientifically sound but it just struck me that way for something I didn't have a good explanation for.

Keep at it.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

stacy T.
on 10/7/15 6:04 pm - San Francisco, CA

I ditto the high fat suggestion. And up the water intake a LOT. Fried eggs for breakfast, BLT with lots of mayo for lunch, nice fatty ribeye for dinner and a bit of broccoli.

I don't think the carb increase is a good idea, don't cut them, but I haven't found them to be beneficial.

And did I mention a TON of water?

Wopsrfun
on 10/8/15 6:53 pm

I stopped losing about 2 years after my surgery but it's going on 3 years now and for some reason, the weight is falling off. I think your body tapers off at a good weight for you and then you start losing again but your body knows an ideal weight for you. When you're not losing weight, you are usually losing inches. Don't get discouraged, the DS is the Cadillac of Wright loss surgeries.

Friends, Esther

LosingSally
on 10/12/15 5:18 pm

I see several replies, but nobody asked you, why did you have your colon removed? This isn't usually a part of any DS or weight loss surgery.

AngelnChains
on 10/12/15 5:30 pm
DS on 11/17/14

My surgery is technically called a biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (bpd/ds), its like getting the sleeve, having the hunger pangs taken away and diverting the intestine. Im sorry if I said colon, I meant intestine!

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views