Blood Glucose/Sugar test for pregnancy

AmyLizTN
on 1/26/16 1:30 pm - Bolivar, TN

I am 6 months pregnant with my second child.  I had the DS ten years ago.

I had the routine gestational diabetes test done twice, both with good results. 

My OB comes in yesterday and looks at my chart and says she's so sorry she had me

take those tests because she doesn't think they give an accurate result because of my DS.

She says she doesn't know how much of the sugar drink I may have "dumped" and it's possible

I could still have high blood sugar and it just didn't read it.  She asked if I had my whole stomach.

I said no but couldn't quite explain that it's stretched and fully functioning.  I tried to explain the cure rate

of diabetes with the DS and she insisted that no, diabetes just gets better because of weight loss.  I explained that

it indeed gets better immediately after surgery and involves the pancreas.  I also know that I malabsorb a significant amount

of fat, but not really sugar and carbs.  She wants me to monitor my blood sugars

several times a day for a while so she can get what she thinks will be more accurate data.  Look, I'm all for doing whatever

I need to do for my baby, but I really really feel that this is un-necessary and honestly the idea of poking myself causes me a lot

of panic and stress!  I don't see why the original test results can't be trusted.  I don't have a surgeon to contact.  My surgery was with Husted who is

long gone and my husband had his with Dr. Spaw, who is retired.  The group we had our surgeries with doesn't even to the DS anymore. 

larra
on 1/26/16 6:21 pm - bay area, CA

Your OB is mistaken. Both DS and, to a lesser extent gastric bypass, provide metabolic effects that go far beyond weight loss. How else to explain people with type 2 diabetes leaving the hospital after their surgery free of diabetes, when they can't possibly have lost enough weight in 2-3 days to make a difference? Yet this happens for many people.

Of course she is right that losing weight is also very beneficial for diabetes, but the DS works in other ways as well. And your stomach is smaller than it used to be, but otherwise normal in function. Dumping is very rare with the DS, and by now, after so any years, you would know whether you dum*****t.

Perhaps is would help your OB to better understand the DS if you provided her with just one good article from the medical literature that explains it. I say just one because like most docs she's surely very busy and isn't going to read anything if you give her too much to plow through.

I totally understand that you are trying to do your very best to have a healthy baby, and I do think having bariatric surgery that includes a malabsorptive component puts any woman into a higher risk category, but she's missing the key areas, which are your vitamin and protein levels, and focusing on sugars, which don't seem to be a problem for you. And creating more stress for you isn't helpful, though I'm sure she means well. I will send you a pm with a little more info that I hope will be helpful.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views