Energy levels down

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/16 5:33 pm

I had the SADi DS about a year and a half ago without any issues worth complaining about. My blood work at a year was close to perfect, but lately I feel fatigued throughout the day. It's starting to feel like a real issue.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? I also lost too much weight but not planned, just the way things unfolded.

PeteA
on 4/19/16 7:11 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

You might go to your primary doctor and check iron, B12, and TSH (thyroid). The last isn't a DS issue but even though the DS is the first thing many of us think about my health problems haven't really been DS related.

Pete

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/16 9:57 pm

Thanks, I was thinking it may be time for more blood work.

chevtow41
on 4/20/16 7:22 pm
DS on 11/11/14

When you say your blood work was close to perfect, do you mean according to you? Or what the doctors say? Because doctors say your levels are fine even if you are at the very bottom of range. I don't trust their definition of fine.

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/16 8:25 pm

I am going by what my WLS surgeon told me after he reviewed the results.

Generally I take less vitamins than most of the people on this site but it's based on my surgeons suggestion for DS Sadi patients. I'm assuming the longer common channel means less malabsorption so fewer vitamins. 

That said, I'm definitely lacking energy. I'm not sure if it may be partly attributed to my body still adjusting to losing 150lbs in a relatively short time.

chevtow41
on 4/21/16 3:35 am
DS on 11/11/14

Surgeons cut, they aren't real great with vitamins. If it were me I'd get every copy of labs and learn to follow the numbers myself. I have a list of labs and have them drawn because the surgeon doesn't do a very comprehensive blood draw. I don't even see my surgeon any longer- my regular doc can order blood draws. Once again it's up to you but I'd be much more involved inthe process if I was you. I'm the person who decides what supplements I need based on my lab spreadsheet.

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/16 10:09 pm

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Once the surgery the done, the surgeon pretty has done their job and doesn't have much of a role going forward. 

My PCP doesn't know much about WLS including not know what labs are really needed.

I'll have to manage it going forward.

chevtow41
on 4/22/16 3:21 am
DS on 11/11/14

I have a good list of labs that I have my doc pull. If you need it let me know and I can email it to you.

Valerie G.
on 4/22/16 4:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

SADI has only been done for a couple of years, so while in theory, supplement needs should be less, there is still much left unknown to keep a patient healthy from the surgeon's knowledge let alone any PCP who probably never heard of it at all.  The DS has been around since 1988 and still has a lot of mystery around nutrition, and results are very specific to personal experiences.  The biggest advice I can give you and any other SADI or DS patient is to understand how to read your lab results and don't be afraid to make your own adjustments.  Even the docs are guessing at what you really need, so educate yourself and save a few copays.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/16 10:55 am

Thanks - my experience so far is that the DS Sadi has all the same issues and experiences as the standard DS. The only exception so far is that I take fewer vitamins. 

I'll need the lab work to see if that is causing a problem. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views