smelly poop

smellypoops
on 4/21/16 7:34 am

does anyone else have bad smelly poops after the DS, if so what are you doing for it

Valerie G.
on 4/22/16 4:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

While everybody poops and all poop smells bad, I must admit that the DS has a certain quality of pungency.  It's always going to have it's own signature scent, but eating strategically is the best way to keep it at bay as much as it's going to. Strategically has a different meaning for each person, as we have different levels of sensitivity to some key foods.   Some of the most common contributors are:

• simple and refined carbs (sugar, bread, pasta, couscous, orzo, cookies, cakes, crackers)
  • sugars 
  • artificial sweeteners
  • strange ingredients you may not be able to pinpoint.  For instance, there is something in terriyaki sauce that gives me the worst gas, later followed by a horrible poop the next day
  • my personal hell is onions

It can take years to find all of your triggers, but these are the most common to start paying attention to.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Darice N.
on 8/2/16 2:32 pm - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with

Val, 

What does the artificial sweeteners do to you?

Valerie G.
on 8/4/16 4:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've suffered no ill effects from them, but I've not gone butt-wild with them either and over-indulged. 

Others have reported excessive gas, bloating, and diarrhea from sweeteners ending with "tol" as in Malitol, Sorbitol, and the like.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Darice N.
on 8/4/16 6:23 am - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with

I drink sugar free decaf iced tea a lot. I buy it already prepared (a gallon jug) at the grocery store. I think it's sweetened with Splenda.  I haven't drank any carbonated beverages in years so I would hate to have to give up my iced tea.  

Thanks for your answers to my questions.  

Revision to DS: 8/31/2016 with Dr. Alejandro Lopez in Tijuana

SW: 260 (before pre-op diet)/CW:150(5/30/17)GW:140

PeteA
on 4/22/16 8:11 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Early on I don;'t think there is much of an answer except for things like poo-pouuri, Citrus magic, and ozium. After a while I did find that staying away from sugary carbs  helps a lot.

Some people use high strength probiotics to help and other use products like Devrom which seems to work for some people. I have some but never used it although I've seen people speak very highly of it.

Quick, multiple flushes really help too. 

Batwingsman
on 4/23/16 1:13 pm - Garland, TX

WM sells little "eye drop bottles" of something called "Just A Drop".  I usually put a few drops in the bowl before I go, and it seems to help somewhat.  Probably works similar to Poo-Pouuri.  Another product I used to use a lot of was Medi-Aire (the lemon-scented version works best, IMHO).   It comes in a little spritzer bottle (with larger refill bottles) that you can carry with you when you go.  Spritz a few shots in the air and it helps cover things up a lot.  It's the same stuff some morgues and medical examiners use to help stave off the smell of decomposition, so you know it's strong.   

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Jazzybz
on 4/24/16 4:41 pm

I noticed your signature, when was your regain ? And can you lose if you watch what you eat? Being a new ds person the idea to regain is scary ! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 285 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 757 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 253 views