Why travel to get your DS surgery...

Brandy G.
on 4/23/16 5:05 pm
DS on 08/20/14

I get this question a lot and today I think I came up with a better way to explain it.

If you had a brain tumor and the surgeon said something like "Well, I prefer the easier surgery, so I will just cut more stuff out.  Yes, your brain won't work as well, but it will be faster for me and you will recover from the surgery faster." you would light out of that doctors office and be finding the number of the best brain surgeon in the world within 2 hours.

The DS surgery takes great skill to do well.  The last criteria should be about giving the local guy some work.  The harder it is on your surgeon, the easier it will be on you for the rest of your life.   Don't trade away a lifetime of doing better to avoid one afternoon doped to the gills on an airplane. 

I hardly remember the trip home, but I didn't complain about pain or anything.  The only thing that stands out in my brain about it is that I normally get antsy during long flights and that time I was very content just sitting in my seat the whole time.   I had a wheelchair waiting for me, but ditched it when I saw the elevator line. 

Hope that makes sense!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Batwingsman
on 4/23/16 5:24 pm - Garland, TX
harrietvane
on 4/24/16 6:30 pm
DS on 02/09/16

I think I must come close to the record travelling distance - from Singapore to Montreal - to get my DS. There is not much bariatric surgery skill in Singapore, and I was self-pay anyway, so not travelling wasn't an option for me. As a revision, my question was whether to go to Spain, Canada or the US to see a top-notch surgeon with lots of revisions under their belt.

I waited 10 days (airline requirement) to do the 24 hours of flying home, and travelled business class (non-negotiable according to my surgeon) so I could have my legs elevated throughout the flight. I slept most of the way, and while it was a shame to miss out on all the amazing food on offer, it was an otherwise fairly pleasant flight. I also did 10 hours on a train from Montreal to NYC around day 5 of my recovery. That was also fine, though the loud woman behind me who got drunk and sang for most of those 10 hours wasn't so great.

Brandy G.
on 4/24/16 6:51 pm
DS on 08/20/14

I only did Seattle to San Diego and the MBC had a driver to pick us up and drop us off and get us across the border.  On the trip to the clinic, which was maybe a 2 hour drive (I don't remember 4 sur) we came in the day before and spent maybe an hour in the hospital for some quick tests, a tour and meet and greet.

On the way home we did the drive to San Diego and then flew to Seattle.  Long day, maybe 8 hours from door to door.  Again, not a big deal. 

The people that rode in the van with us had come down a few days early so they could get in some beach time before their surgery and I remember thinking that was a great idea.  

You win the longest trip though! 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Ang1e
on 4/24/16 8:43 pm

I traveled from Florida to have DS surgery with MBC at the end of January. Best decision I ever made!! I used Dr.Ponce (who has TONS of experience) and I had a very easy and quick recovery. Oh, and I'm down right at 60lbs already. 

Vicki PNW
on 4/24/16 10:06 pm

I traveled 5 miles for mine 8 years ago.  I now live about 15 miles from the hospital and clinic.  My PCP now handles my follow-ups with the guidance of my DS surgeon, who no longer operates.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 78 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 78 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 641 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views