DS and Carbs?

Britt U.
on 4/30/16 12:34 am - Mill Creek, WA

I have been successful with the sleeve until recently and am now > 30 pounds over goal and finding it difficult to manage my weight. I'm considering a DS but am not sure I'm up for another surgery, another recovery, and possible side effects.

Can anyone share with me what happens with DS patients and carbs? I got the impression absorbtion is better with carbs than with fat and protein - I wi**** was the opposite. From all my recent reading I'm working toward reducing carbs and generally keeping insulin low. Is there something about the DS that makes it easier to avoid carbs? 

I'm finding it really difficult to make a decision about a revision. Part of me worries that I won't be able to get all the way to goal without one. Part of me worries that I'll have the surgery and managing my eating won't be much different.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Britt

MajorMom
on 4/30/16 2:25 am - VA

I think the rule of thumb on carbs and DS absorption is about 60% of complex carbs are absorbed but 100% of simple carbs are absorbed.  Yeah, I wish we didn't absorb the sugary crap because it's so darn good!  Some of us react to various kinds of sugar with loose stools, gas, and carb comas--but that's all very individual. 

Good luck with your decision.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

K P.
on 4/30/16 3:19 am
DS on 07/08/14

I echo what Gina said, for me carbs are no good. (Well are they really "good" for anyone?) I can eat green vegetables and tend to be okay, but most carb foods are off the table. Maybe one bite of cake won't do me in but three will. I have a very low tolerance. So for me it doesn't really matter what I absorb, because I just don't eat them! I turn into what I call a gas bubble, along with excessive diarrhea. It's no fun. The surgery helps so much though as I would be eating more carbs if I could. So take with that what you will. 

Keila

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

PattyL
on 4/30/16 12:26 pm

A sleeve is just a diet with a smaller stomach.  Restriction only.  Most people who are heavy need more than just a DIET.  We already know those don't work.  The only other thing you can do is add malabsorbtion.  Since you already have the sleeve the obvious choice is the DS.

Carbs are always going to be a problem.  For everyone, not just the surgically altered.  If a normie or a sleeve person eats carbs, they gain weight.  With the DS, at least you will malabsorb SOME of them.  But to be really successful with any surgery or diet, you have to lay off the carbs.  No matter what, you will be better off with the DS than without it!

PeteA
on 5/1/16 12:52 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Sorry to say there is nothing about the DS that makes it any easier to avoid carbs. As others have said there is some malabsorption of carbs but not really the carbs we usually think of as a problem.

I'm not quite sure how this works, or why, but I did find the first year or 2 I didn't have the same urge for carbs/sweets/junk food that I did pre-op. I also lost my taste for carbonated beverages like diet pepsi. The taste for pepsi never came baxk but I now have a stronger leaning to bad carbs but still not as bad as pre-op.

I'm not sure if this was caused by the switch part of the operation or not. I think so. A lot of us go through a period the first year where we hardly are to eat at all. I remember being concerned about that the first 6 - 9 months and really had to schedule my meals to make sure I was getting in all my protein.

What the DS truly did was give me a clean break from my old eating habits for a period of time. Some I revamped, some are still with me at 3 years out and I fight them like I did pre-op. The fight now just doesn't seem as hard.

So, the DS changes your body, and that helps a lot but you still need to work on your mind and your old habits. I still think it's the best option for keeping the weight off long term but you can have regain with any WLS and the DS is no exception although I think it is harder than with anything else.

Not sure if that helps but something to think about.  :)

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

airbender
on 5/4/16 4:49 pm
On May 1, 2016 at 7:52 PM Pacific Time, PeteA wrote:

Sorry to say there is nothing about the DS that makes it any easier to avoid carbs. As others have said there is some malabsorption of carbs but not really the carbs we usually think of as a problem.

I'm not quite sure how this works, or why, but I did find the first year or 2 I didn't have the same urge for carbs/sweets/junk food that I did pre-op. I also lost my taste for carbonated beverages like diet pepsi. The taste for pepsi never came baxk but I now have a stronger leaning to bad carbs but still not as bad as pre-op.

I'm not sure if this was caused by the switch part of the operation or not. I think so. A lot of us go through a period the first year where we hardly are to eat at all. I remember being concerned about that the first 6 - 9 months and really had to schedule my meals to make sure I was getting in all my protein.

What the DS truly did was give me a clean break from my old eating habits for a period of time. Some I revamped, some are still with me at 3 years out and I fight them like I did pre-op. The fight now just doesn't seem as hard.

So, the DS changes your body, and that helps a lot but you still need to work on your mind and your old habits. I still think it's the best option for keeping the weight off long term but you can have regain with any WLS and the DS is no exception although I think it is harder than with anything else.

Not sure if that helps but something to think about.  :)

Pete

very well said...

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/16 2:05 pm

The DS may not do much regarding carbs, but it's become standard practice to remove your gall bladder as part of the DS. For me, I can eat a normal amount of carbs with no issue or weight gain, but excessive carbs will create painful bloating in my digestive system. This is a big deterrent to avoiding them beyond some level. Also the DS do handle carbonation well, so I never drink soda anymore. That was my main sugar carb prior to WLS.

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/16 2:05 pm

Don't handle carbonation 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/1/16 2:48 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Well I'm not a DS'r but I'd have some serious doubts on having another surgery with so little left to lose, & yeah I'm a newbie & I might be talking some smack right now but I do hope that you'll look back as to why you're gaining the weight back.

Head stuff is a pita to work thru & carbs oh I so hear ya on that. Of course my carb demons came in the shape of simple refined cookie carb monster kind & not the happy healthy veggie kind.

I don't think the ds can help you on the carb front, as far as I know those simple carbs will be absorbed & will leave you craving for more.

I also have about 20+ pounds to get to goal & at times I've felt that I'll never get there, but I know I will. 

Really take a hard look at yourself b4 going back under the knife, you might find that you don't need to. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 92 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 92 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 647 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views