Diabetic

Sunshine16
on 5/3/16 8:51 am

Is it possible to still have diabetes with DS? Does anyone have diabetes with the DS?

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

PattyL
on 5/3/16 10:17 am

Type 1 diabetics will always be diabetic, DS or not.  Type 2 is 'cured' over 90% of the time by the switch portion of the DS.  There are a few people out there who are not completely fixed but even the worst fails report their diabetes is vastly improved.

PeteA
on 5/4/16 7:59 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

For people with type 2 it is still possible. While some people seem to come out of surgery with diabetes in remission (my case ) plenty of people only go into remission as they lose their excess weight. I have seen posts of people that weren't helped at all although they seem to be a pretty small group.

It seems to depend more on why you developed diabetes and in some sense how long you've had it.

It's also important to note that having your diabetes in remission doesn't fix any problems that might have developed due to your diabetes pre-op. For instance, I have pretty bad neuropathy in both my feet. Just not much feeling - no pain but it leaves me still open to damaging my feet before I realize I am doing something wrong.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views