3 weeks post-op and suddenly nauseous

TuliBree
on 5/4/16 10:18 am

Hey y'all. I'm three weeks post-op from my surgery and now have wave after wave of nausea. I'm not sure if its because I'm back in my work routine and that's putting stress on my system or what. I'm not actually vomiting just feel sick to my stomach. I'm not at my daily fluid goal of 64oz but I'm getting somewhere between 30 and 40 oz per day so I don't think its dehydration. Any thoughts? 

PattyL
on 5/4/16 10:47 am

What are you drinking?  Are you eating?  The first thing I would do is drink a bottle of gatorade or pedialyte.  If you are relying on shakes do they have the electrolytes you need?

TuliBree
on 5/4/16 12:14 pm

I'm drinking mostly water, crystal light flavored water, some watered down juice. I tried a G2 gatorade and that seemed to make it worse. I'll look into pedialyte. I'm on the soft foods level so eating scrambled eggs, natural applesauce, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, other canned fruits, etc. I've tried mash potatoes but that was awful so I'm trying to limit anything with the least bit of carbs. I'm souped out; if I never see chicken noodle soup or tomato soup again I'd be okay. I'm not sure I'm getting enough protein because depending on the day the protein shakes don't go down well. I've tried several different types of shakes (premier, nectar, isopure [bleck!]). Today has been better. But maybe it's a protein issue?

hollykim
on 5/4/16 2:14 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 4, 2016 at 7:14 PM Pacific Time, TuliBree wrote:

I'm drinking mostly water, crystal light flavored water, some watered down juice. I tried a G2 gatorade and that seemed to make it worse. I'll look into pedialyte. I'm on the soft foods level so eating scrambled eggs, natural applesauce, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, other canned fruits, etc. I've tried mash potatoes but that was awful so I'm trying to limit anything with the least bit of carbs. I'm souped out; if I never see chicken noodle soup or tomato soup again I'd be okay. I'm not sure I'm getting enough protein because depending on the day the protein shakes don't go down well. I've tried several different types of shakes (premier, nectar, isopure [bleck!]). Today has been better. But maybe it's a protein issue?

it is more likely a dehydration issue more than a protein issue.

your body had plenty of fat to break down for protein. Dehydration can turn deadly is a matter of days so get as much liquid as you can and don't worry about protein right now.

chevtow41
on 5/4/16 6:32 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Dehydration can manifest as nausea

PattyL
on 5/4/16 9:36 pm

This early out it's not a protein problem.  Pretty sure it's fluids or electrolytes!  Forget the no carbs thing till you get the nausea under control.  Just drink a lot of what works for you.  If you like salty things, have some chips.  You just need to get a lot more fluids!

PeteA
on 5/5/16 6:40 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Not sure although dehydration is always an issue early out. 

You're not eating much but is it possible something you are eating is the cause? Different foods made me 
nauseous in the early days, eggs especially in my case. I also wonder about the canned fruit you mentioned.

Just another thing to look at for the cause but if it doesn't lighten up make sure to get in touch with your
Doctor's office. 

Just like the weather the early weeks of the DS your reaction to foods may change from day to day.

Pete

Valerie G.
on 5/5/16 9:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My bet is dehydration.  64oz isn't something to work up to.  It's your daily minimum and I get it before lunchtime and double it by the end of my work day.  It's hard, I know - but not impossible.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TuliBree
on 5/6/16 11:28 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm feeling much better. I tried some of the pedialyte which really seemed to calm things down. I also got to thinking that it could be taking the vitamins before any food so I switched that up too. 

While I'm not at my 64 oz daily (which my doctor told me could take a couple of weeks to accomplish) I'm closer each day so it could have been a dehydration/electrolyte issue. Now that I'm closer to 45 - 50 oz daily that also might be what's helping. 

Anyway, thanks again! Appreciate all the help. 

butterfly13
on 5/14/16 9:44 pm
Revision on 04/06/16

Hello! 

I took had EXTREME nausea about the 2nd-3rd week post-op after my revision from the Lap-Band to the DS. It got so bad that I called my doctor's office and they gave me more heavy doses of anti-nausea and just told me to keep trying to get fluids down. I was only having sips of water a day..... Before surgery I was able to drink Crystal Light and whatnot but since surgery none of that has worked for me and a lot of time water is hard for me to get down. My surgeon's office said if the meds didn't help that I would have to go into the hospital for hydration, so I really tried to just focus on the fluids. I was/am having terrible problems with the vitamins as well. I am able to get some food and protein shakes in, bu****er is STILL a constant struggle everyday! I hate it because I used to drink a gallon of water a day without any problems. I am one of the "lucky ones" (rolling eyes, LOL) that just happened to get reallllllly bad nausea. My surgeon's office told me this can go on for 1-2 months post op. I'm in the middle of week 5 post op.... the nausea is starting to slow down, so I feel like with time.... things will comes together the way they should. Hope this helps and I wish you good luck with your recovery! 

-Nicki 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views