VSG to DS revision

lilolovesstitch
on 5/17/16 10:07 am - Canada
VSG on 01/14/14

i am wondering what my weight loss will be like after a second surgery. Can I expect it to be like the first?

PeteA
on 5/17/16 7:39 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

We'll have to see if someone who actually had a 2 stage DS can answer this.

Do you have much restriction from the original VSG left? Are they planning on
redoing your VSG while they are adding the switch?

Many of us get the restriction and the malabsorption in one step so the weight loss goes quicker
than folks with a revision. I'm not sure if it will match your experience, in weight loss, at all just 
because the processes are so different.

I do think you may need to pay more attention to your dietary plan at the start than I did with
a full DS at the start but protein first on meals and don't forget your vitamins.

Most of the revision postings I've seen have been RnY revisions but I would expect you to
be a little slower over all.  That's just a guess - too many variables to really say.

Pete

lilolovesstitch
on 5/18/16 12:10 am - Canada
VSG on 01/14/14

Dr. Wanted to do it in 2 surgeries as I was 476 day of surgery.

I still have restriction but not as much as the first year. I am now 275, down 201 pounds, but I haven't lost much in the past 10 months or so. I had the VSG approx 2 and a half years ago.

PeteA
on 5/18/16 4:53 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I was lucky. My Doc initially wanted to do it in 2 steps. I was 556 at my first visit but was able to get to 464 for surgery and he was able to do in one step.

Great job with your VSG. That sounds a lot better than most people do. I think the switch will help you get the rest of the way. It's frustrating but part of the reason things will happen slower is that you are starting at such a lower weight.  I think the malabsorption will kick start you back on track. 

I do think the switch part caused some changes that allowed me to change some of my eating habits and seemed to help with my metabolism. 

Pete

hollykim
on 5/18/16 9:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 17, 2016 at 5:07 PM Pacific Time, lilolovesstitch wrote:

i am wondering what my weight loss will be like after a second surgery. Can I expect it to be like the first?

I had it in two surgeries three years apart. 

The weight los is slower but still happens. 

You do have to monitor your diet. You can't eat whatever and still lose. Carbs are absorbed at 100%.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 148 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views