Still fat but a size 4

cherylbaker
on 6/22/16 7:34 am

I need some suggestions on how I can get over feeling fat. Ive gone from a size 24 to a size 4. I intellectually I know I am not fat.. But  look at the clothes I wear and think everyday there is no way in going to fit my fat butt into these.. Yet if course every morning they fit. 2 years out and seemed to have reached the end of my weight loss. Im fine with a size 4'but not fine with feeling like a fat elephant.

Has anyone got over this feeling?

CallMeMsE
on 6/22/16 12:28 pm - Duluth, GA

I've struggled with this feeling over the years.  I'm 6 years out.  Started at a size 32 and now I'm a size 8.  When I look in the mirror sometimes I still see "fat girl" and then other times its "skinny girl".  I sought out help to help me cope with the body dysmorphia and it has helped tremendously.  Some days are better than others but when "fat girl" wants to shine her light, I'm mentally equipped to deal with her.  Stay strong. Stay positive. Congratulations on your weight loss!! 

Erica

hollykim
on 6/22/16 12:56 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 22, 2016 at 2:34 PM Pacific Time, cherylbaker wrote:

I need some suggestions on how I can get over feeling fat. Ive gone from a size 24 to a size 4. I intellectually I know I am not fat.. But  look at the clothes I wear and think everyday there is no way in going to fit my fat butt into these.. Yet if course every morning they fit. 2 years out and seemed to have reached the end of my weight loss. Im fine with a size 4'but not fine with feeling like a fat elephant.

Has anyone got over this feeling?

I suggest therapy.

PattyL
on 6/22/16 1:42 pm

Every time you feel fat, put on a pair of those size 24 jeans.  Instant perspective!

Raven300
on 6/22/16 7:33 pm

Of course, many of us have had this feeling.  Many of us have suffered from various eating disorders and a lot of us have body dysmorphia.  

I started out fit and thin throughout my teens and college years but saw myself as an elephant.  Later, when I was 320 lbs. I knew I was big but I am not sure that I really saw myself in the mirror.  To my eyes, I was always huge.  When I did lose the weight after my surgery, I still felt quite large and had a hard time believing the scale.  

The advice from the members above are both good suggestions.  

1. Definitely go see a therapist.  You've got issues with your body and probably with food (either too much or not enough) too. Therapy can help you deal with these issues and the underlying causes of why you feel the way you feel.
  2. Numbers don't lie.  What weight was fat to you at size 24?  What weight are you at now?  Remind yourself how much you have lost and that if you were fat at XXX pounds, you can't also be fat at 1XX.
  3. Try on those smaller clothes AND those bigger ones.  Yes! You do fit into size 4.  No one can say that a size 4 is fat.  No one.  Face it.  Size 4 -woooohoooo!  Got any of your old clothes around - put them on.  I bet two of your legs can fit into one side of your old pants.  Have you thrown them all out.  Go to Target or any clothing store and grab some PLUS size clothes.  Do they fit you? Nope.  It isn't a consipiracy of the fashion world, you really are thin.
  4. Take a friend, husband, or trusted family member - one who understands you and your issues and loves you unconditionally- and head to the mall.  Make sure it is someone you trust who will tell it to straight.  Sit in the middle of the mall and pick out the people that walk by.  Judge each person and announce if you think you are a larger or smaller size than the person you see.  Have your pal tell you the truth.  You'll be shocked.  I had to do this for a couple of months around the time I was getting closer and closer to goal.  My mind hadn't caught up with my new shape.  
  5. Tell yourself  "I am  finally thin and healthy"  every day when you look in the mirror.  Keep saying it until you believe it.

The weight loss journey is just that - a journey.  Just keep working your program and your protein and learn to love yourself again.

Good luck!

PeteA
on 6/23/16 5:32 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It goes in cycles for me. SOmetimes I'm fine and sometimes I'm still the fat guy even though I'm now the skinniest male in my family. :)

It is always a good idea to review where you were as opposed to where you are now when you have that feeling. Alternatively, I also go out to do something that I know I couldn't have done before - like a long bike ride or a walk around a mall. It helps cement how different my life is now.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

SKmammabear
on 6/24/16 11:37 am

My best advise is to take out a picture of yourself at your largest, then look at today's picture side by side.  I am totally in awe and utter amazement in myself when I look at the comparison.   I just got back from a vacation and looking at those pictures I see a totally different person now, than I was back then.  It lifts my spirits and reminds me how far I've come.  Am I a total skinny babe with a perfect body?  NO WAY!  I'm far from it and I can pick out every flaw in some of those pictures.  I have flabby bat wings, huge flabby thighs and my tummy hangs and droops.  I was so much worse off before than I am now.  I really don't mind getting my pictures taken now because there is a "normal" person looking back at me - flaws and all!  No one is perfect!  Keep your chin up!

BariBabe
on 6/28/16 11:24 am

I can't say I'm completely over being a fat girl for most of my life. BUT the best thing I have found for a reality check is current pics vs. old pics. I can look in a mirror, and not see the truth, but those pics? It is hard to deny the difference!  When I was at goal, I'd say, "Your weigh 155 (at 5' 8") there is NO WAY you are fat!  I still have an old lady roll around my middle that keeps me from feeling slim most days when I sit down! I must admit that I've been in "normal" sizes for several years, and the plus sizes are finally looking VERY large to me when I go past them in the store.  I think it just takes time! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 295 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 767 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views