Too much scar tissue for DS?

Darice N.
on 7/6/16 9:51 am - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with

Has anyone ever been told that if you've had lap band and gall bladder removal surgery that there would be too much scar tissue to perform the DS?  I had a doctor tell me that and says he can only perform the mini bypass.

PeteA
on 7/6/16 10:14 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I've seen posts from people that were warned there might be too much scar tissue but none that ruled a DS out without actually looking. You should consider someone who does more difficult cases like Dr. Kesheshian in California for a 2nd opinion. Your surgeon might be right but maybe he is just not up to the task. Best to double check and find out before you make your decision.  

Pete

Darice N.
on 7/6/16 10:27 am - Washington, AR

Thank you, Pete.  This doctor only looked at my paperwork.  I have never met him.  I cannot afford to have the surgery done in the US and my insurance will not pay because I'm over 60 and have had previous bariatric surgery.

larra
on 7/6/16 10:22 am - bay area, CA

The most polite way I can put this is that this is pure BS. First, there is NO WAY to  know how bad the adhesions are until the surgeon gets in there. They don't show up on any diagnostic test. Second, different people scar differently, both on the outside and on the inside. One person could have horrible adhesions from one operation, another could have 5 operations with minimal adhesions.

Third, both failed lap band (with or without prior removal) and gall bladder removal are extremely common operations for an MO person to have had. If this guy can't do the DS on someone with that history, he can't do the DS, and THAT'S the reason he's telling you he can't do the DS for you, NOT anything about you.

And last, do you realize he's trying to talk you into an operation that isn't even standard of care? Yes, there are surgeons in Mexico who do it, and I'm sure it's perfectly legal, but there is a good reason why it has never been accepted as standard of care in the USA, is not covered by any American insurer that I've ever heard of, and is rarely done in this country. Unlike the RNY gastric bypass, it creates the risk of bile reflux, which is very difficult  to treat. The name "mini" bypass is just clever advertising, this is major surgery with significant consequences (can you tell I'm upset about that this guy is trying to sell you??)

The solution to all this is to get yourself to an experienced DS surgeon who does the DS on lots of people who have had lap bands before. It CAN be done in the right hands.

Larra

Darice N.
on 7/6/16 10:25 am - Washington, AR

Thank you for your response.  I was thinking the same thing.  Did you have your surgery done in Mexico, if so, by whom?

larra
on 7/6/16 10:39 am - bay area, CA

Darice, please see the pm I sent you, as well as one sent awhile back when we first made contact.

No, I have not had any surgery done in Mexico, but I've encountered a lot of people who have over the years. I've seen nothing but positive feedback about Dr. Esquerra, and I know for sure that he does the DS on people who have had prior lap band. And, given how many people have their gall bladders removed (500,000 every year in the USA) I'm sure he's also done the DS on people who have had their gall bladder removed. But no need to take my word for it, get in contact with his staff and ask for yourself.

I understand about your insurance. Many policies these days have this "one bariatric surgery per lifetime" restriction. I think this should be illegal, but I don't make the rules. And don't let your age deter you. I have a good friend who had the DS when she was 62 and she's done great, and I have met others online in this age group who have done great as well.

Larra

PattyL
on 7/6/16 11:57 am

What Larra said!

The doc you are talking about is telling you HIS/HER skill level.  Believe them and run away as fast as you can!

Larra is right about Dr. Esquerra too!

Valerie G.
on 7/7/16 4:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

These ladies know what they are talking about.  A reputable surgeon would tell you that if there was too much scar tissue, he may have to ditch the laparoscopic tools and open you up to complete the procedure, not give you a substandard alternative.  This doc is a beginner, if he does a real DS at all.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Darice N.
on 7/8/16 6:33 am - Washington, AR

Thanks.  I have definitely decided against this surgeon.  I appreciate the feedback.

harrietvane
on 7/7/16 5:22 am
DS on 02/09/16

Just want to echo what larra has said. 

I had a band to DS revision in February. Dealing with the adhesions certainly took the surgeon longer, but that was about it. I was warned there was a possibility it might need to be two surgeries if the adhesions were incredibly bad (one to remove the band and adhesions, another to do the switch) but it was one surgery in the end - and they were pretty bad (it's in my surgical report).

I would run, not walk, away from whoever is telling you this. Also, the surgeon is going to have to deal with the adhesions regardless of the type of surgery - so it sounds more like a cop out of he doesn't really do the DS and wants to promote the mini gastric bypass instead.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views